Talk

Advanced search

BLW is expensive!

(21 Posts)
kazbeth Thu 02-Jul-09 20:02:30

My 6 month old has decided to BLW .. I've tried to spoonfeed but she's not interested. So we started with some finger foods which she successfully grabs hold of, shoves in her mouth, chomps a bit then throws/drops it on the floor! Then cries for more. Repeat several times per meal and I'm going through loads of food.

Anyone else finding this?

On the plus side she's really taking to it. Now all I need to do is teach her how to hold on to a piece of melon without dropping it .. not an easy feat

FaintlyMacabre Thu 02-Jul-09 20:06:34

You need a splashmat (or old shower curtain). Thrown/dropped food can be handed straight back again or eaten yourself depending on how tasty it is.

thisisyesterday Thu 02-Jul-09 20:07:26

just pick it up and give it back to her.

unless the floor is filthy lol

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 02-Jul-09 20:07:31

Put her chair on a clean wipeable mat and when she drops food just put it back on her tray.

I found that blw didn't cost me a lot more. For example, often I don't want a 2 slice sandwich, so dd and I would share. Also very large bananas etc were great to share.

Try slicing some little dents/grooves into the melon for her.

Indith Thu 02-Jul-09 20:07:53

The key to BLW is to have a plastic mat under the highchair that you can wipe down properly after each meal so you can hand the dropped food back since it has been on clean mat and not dirty floor grin Now if I could just teach dd not to shove things down the back of the radiator......

Pingpong Thu 02-Jul-09 20:11:51

BLW is not expensive ! grin
yes there is some wastage but just think of all the gloop left in the food processor that gets wasted.
Splash mat is essential in the early days or a dog!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 02-Jul-09 20:14:21

Where does one get these fabulous mats from?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 20:14:48

Message withdrawn

Pingpong Thu 02-Jul-09 20:19:01

I cut up a cheapo shower curtain from Wilkensons into 4 pieces think it cost 79p. You can of course buy an Annabel Karmel one but that just isn't in the spirit of BLW wink

kazbeth Thu 02-Jul-09 20:19:35

I've been doing it in the kitchen so that's where I've been going wrong .. not that the floor is filthy .. but I certainly wouldn't want to eat off it grin

Kitchen is too small to put a mat down as well .. I already have to keep moving her to get into the cupboards .. so will have to move her into the other room tomorrow.

jUst need some inspiration on what she's going to try tomorrow. Can you try just about anything? Or should we stick to certain things first?

CMOTdibbler Thu 02-Jul-09 20:20:50

A cheap shower curtain works best. Then when it is disgusting you can chuck it in the washing machine.

I just lobbed some of what I was eating to DS, and it worked well as a dieting strategy too

If you leave a bit of rind on each melon slice they can get a better hold of it

plimple Thu 02-Jul-09 20:30:18

Where do you eat? If you eat in the kitchen, let her eat there too, but if you eat in the other room that would be good for her. Can you eat at the same time as her so she sees what to do?
Can you get her a pelican bib so it catches most? Annabel Karmel does a good foldy up one (I have no problem with AK coexisting with BLW, she just introduces a few tastes on a spoon before hand).
Start simple and using things you are cooking for yourself to make less work e.g. the veg, potatoes etc from your dinner.
There are lots of Organix things that are blimmin expensive and put forward as finger foods, if you're just using these you will use a lot of money.

jellybelly2 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:30:23

Has anyone tried BLW before six months? My little one has his eye on my food and watches me eat licking his lips...He is 4mths old. grin

FaintlyMacabre Thu 02-Jul-09 20:34:16

You can try BLW whenever you like- it's up to the baby whether he eats anything or not!
However, it is very unlikely that he will be ready- 4-month-olds just don't have the co-ordination to sit up straight, pick up food, get it into their mouths, chew and swallow.
I seem to remember that in Gill Rapley's original research on BLW the babies were offered food from 4 months but none of them ate much before 6 months.

AitchTwoOh Thu 02-Jul-09 20:37:08

pelican bib and splash mat, oh yessss. grin

my dd was born six weeks early and mustn've been about five and a half months corrected when she started grabbing and chewing bits and bobs. however i'd say that it took until about 7 months corrected before she really started eating, iykwim?

BelleWatling Thu 02-Jul-09 20:45:56

I find if you let them crawl round the highchair afterwards, they clean up for you (nb don't leave watch batteries, cherry stones, marbles etc lying around wink)

blush

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 21:14:00

Message withdrawn

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 21:19:31

In this weather I let DD eat outside and what our fat cats don't scoff gets thrown on the lawn for the birds. She is now dropping less and less as she gets better at it.

Pingpong Thu 02-Jul-09 21:37:46

the best bit about pelican bibs is when they realise that there are treasures caught in there - DD likes to put as many cherry halves in as possible, chew for a bit, spit them out and start over again. A beautiful sight wink

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 02-Jul-09 21:44:28

my dd2 doesn't like waste (!) so tends not to drop much now (obviously she did when she was tiny) At her cm's she toddles over to the other little boy and makes sure he is fed all of the bits that are in his pelican bib.

The cm's dog is mostly disappointed as there are never any leftovers. grin

pispirispis Fri 03-Jul-09 01:38:00

I use old bedsheets, shake them and chuck them in the washing machine after a few goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now