Talk

Advanced search

BLW - it works, but HOW??

(5 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Wed 01-Jul-09 20:29:11

but how?

My 8mth old told me that purees were for babies (but there again so are cuddles, being helped to do ANYTHING, and daytime naps grin) so we arrived at BLW.

She loves her food. Will try anything and gets very cross if i try to help (you know - with yoghurt, soup etc).

I see her grab the food, i see her bite bits off and move it around her mouth. I then see her spit it back out. I know what i give her and how much i tidy up and it seems she eats nothing!

Now i know she must be getting something because she's growing well and putting on weight, and i only give her 3 bottles a day - so not compensating with milk (not that i wouldn't if i thought she needed it! I believe milk is still most important, she's just not hungry for more)

So is she just swallowing extra nutritious spit? hmm Or am i missing something? Anyone else feel like this?

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 01-Jul-09 20:37:07

your 8 month old talks about things like feeling like a baby? bloody hell.

i have absolutely no advice at all, I am too gobsmacked by the idea of a talking 8 month old! grin

thisisyesterday Wed 01-Jul-09 20:39:59

at 8 moinths your child shouldbe getting the bulk of her calories from milk.

food at that age is still just a play thing, and BLW is the perfect way to get them used to a range of flavours and textures.

i expect she swallows more than you think, possibly backed up by evidence in her nappy?
but the bulk of her calories willbe ffrtom her milk,,

drinkyourmilk Wed 01-Jul-09 21:08:55

Hectates- she's just too darn independant!! Guess that's having older siblings for you. Alas no verbal talking, but believe me she gets her point across wink. She's never done the 'baby' thing. Not wanted to snuggle or anything. It's been 'hold me upright' and 'I'll do it my way thankyou' since she was born.

thisisyesterday -Yes her nappies do change in consistency etc so i know some of it must be going in (plus weight gain etc). Agree with you re milk.

I just find BLW amusing to watch and whilst I'm a convert (no friggin ice cube trays! Hurrah!!) I'm totally amazed it works cause if you didn't know better you'd swear they ate nothing.

pispirispis Wed 01-Jul-09 21:25:49

Aww my dd's just the same, REALLY independent and BLW worked so well for us. She's 14 months old now and I'm not allowed to hold her hands at all while she practises her walking grin She's come round to cuddles now and doesn't push me away any more, in fact she cuddles me quite a lot! <silly sigh of pleasure>

I did BLW because she was SO not letting me put anything in her mouth, and it has worked really well, it's been great fun. She doesn't have a big appetite either, though she really enjoys her mini meals and eats pretty much anything, and still has three 6oz bottles a day now.

Just make sure she's getting enough milk and have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now