Talk

Advanced search

DESPERATION AND NEEDING ADVICE

(8 Posts)
caz1512 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:28:35

my 9 month old has been eating very well and now wont eat anything off a spoon and very little else i think she teething but im so worried that she will get poorly i find myself getting very frustrated with her she turns her head and clamps her mouth shut is this norm for babies that are teething and do thing return to normal this has been going on over a week been to doctors and he cant see any infection and she is or seems happy in herself

sazlocks Tue 30-Jun-09 19:30:32

as long as she is drinking milk (formula or BF) then she should be fine. The old adage goes " food is for fun until they are one ". Have you tried her with finger foods as well as spoon feeding ?

Minerva1 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:31:11

i wouldn't worry too much. i know it's terribly terribly frustrating but its quite normal for babies to turn their head away and clamp their mouth shut. But trust me no baby ever starved themselves! My toddler ate nothing but bread and yogurt until he was 3. Spat out, turned head away or downright screamed about anything else. And I tried everything! Still he was always healthy!
And now he eats fruit, veg, loads of protein all the great stuff with no effort. He's 4.
So please don't worry. It's normal and yes quite likely just a phase of teething.

MatNanPlus Tue 30-Jun-09 19:32:01

Let her chomp on stuff at her pace be it food or spoon.

Let her do it all.

As long as she is drinking she will be ok, she has gazzillion yrs for eating ahead

cyteen Tue 30-Jun-09 19:32:07

If she's happy in herself and still getting enough milk, I wouldn't worry just yet It may just be that she wants to do it herself - 9 months is quite an independent age (I am discovering with my DS!)

ShowOfHands Tue 30-Jun-09 19:32:48

Normal for teething. Have you tried cold finger foods and letting her help herself? Cucumber and carrot sticks for example, helps with sore gums.

Lots of milk, it'll pass.

waytoomuchchocolate Tue 30-Jun-09 19:50:20

my 9.5 month ds just done exact same thing. he's slowly come back to eating off spoon + a lot more eating with his fingers - risotto, pasta, dollops of yoghurt hmmsandwiches etc. am now sure it was a show of independence even though it didn't seem like it at the time. he's now much more keen to do it himself but will have spoon as well.

it drove me crazy too but it has passed, sure will be same for your dd.

gave lots of milk too.

pispirispis Wed 01-Jul-09 21:19:53

My dd's 14 months old and she has 4 molars coming through all at the same time, poor thing! She's been eating VERY little for a week now and is skinny as it is, so though I know it's normal, it's still worrying, isn't it! She's drinking all her milk though, and even a bit more, and she's drinking loads of water too, so I think that's the main thing.

I made some frozen yoghurt lollies with Greek yoghurt and pureed pineapple and bit off chunks to give her, and she loved it and had the whole thing! Nice and cold on her poor gums and great for the hot weather too. Maybe you could try something like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now