Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my fussy eater (he's nearly 3)

(8 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Tue 30-Jun-09 18:13:24

Message withdrawn

CyradisTheSeer Sun 05-Jul-09 07:41:45

Message withdrawn

hairtwiddler Sun 05-Jul-09 08:18:48

Ok, first advice would be to forget the battle. Making a big fuss over mealtimes might create an association with hassle/anxiety and eating. So first thing I would suggest is to stop trying to get him to eat.
Serve him a variety of food - stuff he likes and stuff that is new. Or put something he doesn't like beside something he does on the plate.
Make no comment if he eats nothing. Give lots of praise if he tries something new.
Talk about if you try something new, and about what things taste like.
If nothing else this approach will take away your stress. Look at what he eats over the course of a week rather than a day - you'll probably find it's a good balance.

I speak as the mum of a very fussy 3 year old. She'll occasionally try new things now. It's soooo hard not to make a big deal out of it and I struggle with it loads.
Hope that helps.

purepurple Sun 05-Jul-09 08:36:15

I would say to keep giving him new stuff to eat and not to make a fuss if he doesn't eat it.
Could you try growing veg with him? He will be more inclined to eat it if you have grown it.
Try cress first, then tomatoes and carrots.
Also, involve him in cooking, 3 year olds are capable of mixing and spreading and even chopping, with supervision.
Praise him when he does try something new, even if he doesn't actually eat it.
Tell him Sporticus/The Wiggles etc eat it and it makes them have super powers!
Also, look at your portion sizes, as big plates full really do put children off. It looks like a mountain of food to them.
Give him what you have and don't offer alternatives. I read somewhere that you have to try a child ten times with a new food before they eat it.
Good luck!

bubblagirl Sun 05-Jul-09 08:43:04

again i would say do not battle battling at dinner time creates fussy eater as they become so anxious they want meal to be over ASAP usually eating nothing

try making pizza together so he can put all sorts on it be warned get cheap ones as ds enjoyed making but took few attempts to eat so prepare a meal you know he'll eat also

i introduced new foods at lunch put few bits in a bowl next to his lunch if he tried it i really praised him but didnt force him i found he was more likely to try if i wasn't there egging him on if i ignored he was more relaxed and wanted to try a small bit

your ds diet is still relatively healthy so i wouldn't worry just lots of praise at meal times good eating etc build his confidence back up at meal times no battling just let him eat what he likes and keep adding new food on separate plate to try without forcing

my ds now tries everything but for months survived on bread and butter or toast i never battles made sure i got things in via drinks smoothies etc he soon got out of it

when his ill he reverts back but now im more relaxed i know it wont harm him

so stay relaxed then he will be slowly introduce new things lots of praise at meal times make them fun if you can so he really relaxes i used to put yoghurt on my nose and then on his let him do same to me so we had fun not stress now i have a gannit who doesnt stop eating

and remember in the hot weather there appetite decreases anyway my ds usually eats loads but in summer his appetite goes down as drinking more and filling him up and hot meals too hot to eat it so its based around cooked lunches and snacky dinner egg and soldiers, toast, cereal, as he would have has cooked lunch

bubblagirl Sun 05-Jul-09 08:44:22

portion size for 2 yr old should be 2 tablespoon of each serving so 6 tablespoon if big 2 yr old 3 of each it doesn't look much to us but is sufficient enough for them

nappyaddict Thu 09-Jul-09 13:01:20

Try growing your own food together and cooking it together. Or let him get really involved with shopping at the supermarket. Let him pick it, put it in the trolley, put it on the checkout, pay for it, put it away etc If your supermarkets does those kiddy trolleys they are fab for encouraging them to eat what they've bought or if you have a supermarket near you that lets you scan the items yourself with your own little gun thing.

Seeline Thu 09-Jul-09 13:11:04

My DD was very fussy - at one stage she would only eat fish fingers and plain boiled spaghetti! I agree with the others - she definitely improved as soon as I relaxed, took a step back and stopped fighting over food. I also was astounded by the tiny portions she survives on (but maybe this is just incomparison to the giant appetite of her older brother!) Really praise when he tries something new - we even got to the stage of the 'just give it a lick' approach. It did work very slowly. She is just finishing her first year at school now, and I have to say the best thing has been school dinners - she is much more adventurous with her food, and is now happier to at least try new things. I know it is really hard, but please try not to make too much of a thing of meal times -everyone ends up stressed. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now