Talk

Advanced search

Weaning virgin: really dumb questions re where to start with purees.......

(8 Posts)
HarryB Sun 28-Jun-09 21:20:15

Hi. I intend to start weaning my DS soon and would be grateful for a bit of advice please so I can prepare in my mind blush. Firstly, I intend to start with pureed carrot as baby rice just looks gross, so first question is: how runny should the puree be? Should I literally steam the carrots then blend, or do I need to add water or formula to make it runnier?

Also, should I start with carrot and continue with that until he is enjoying - or not - or do a couple of days carrot, then perhaps butternut squash and so on? Lastly, can I introduce fruit at anytime or master the veg first?

Thank you ever so smile

tiktok Mon 29-Jun-09 09:49:03

HarryB - one option would be to check out the options for baby led weaning and you won't have to worry about purees and their textures are all

yarrow5 Mon 29-Jun-09 20:05:05

I struggled with the right texture at first. the stage 1 jars are the texture and consistency of custard and yoghurt. i never really managed it with anything other than potato and avocado. I know its possible but i struggled and & ds had a lot of jars in the 1st few weeks.

As far as when to introduce things goes. i'm not really sure although the books say to introduce things slowly.

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 20:09:21

steam or boil until soft and mash with a fork until smooth. you can add a bit of the water you cooked it in to make it runnier if needed and baby rice cna thicken if too runny.

if he is 6 months you can give bread and other wheat/gluten foods

agree looking at www.babyledweaning.com could be worthwile. can take a lot of teh stress out of teh weaning process as baby eats what you eat

BirdyBedtime Wed 01-Jul-09 20:07:06

The guidance I've read says that first purees should be the consistency of double cream or a thick soup, but after the first few trys of baby rice I've gone much thicker, using the steaming water to get to the right consistency. I find that it's easier to get it to stay in the mouth if it is a bit thicker. This is what I did for DD and am now doing for DS and with both it worked fine. I also think that you can move onto lumpier stuff much quicker than many books etc say, as I think the sooner they get lumps the less likely they are to reject them IYSWIM. But this is just what has worked for me. I can see the theory behind BLW but am too much of a clean freak to even consider it!

lorddumpling Sun 05-Jul-09 15:58:42

Message withdrawn

Pinkglow Mon 06-Jul-09 09:58:56

I would just experiment and see how you go, I always did my purees slightly thicker rather than too runny. Baby rice is very useful for mixing with stuff and thickning things up. For example my DS didnt really like apple as I think it was too tart but he would eat it if it was mixed with rice.

HarryB Tue 07-Jul-09 20:38:21

Thanks all.

For those that mentioned BLW - I have considered it but am beyond paranoid about choking. I'm even going on an emergency life support course in a couple of weeks so I am ready for when he starts the lumpier foods. I kid you not blush

DS seems to have taken to the carrot quite well after 4 days of it. I am trying parsnip tomorrow, and from saturday (that will be a week), I am going to try some porridge with pureed apple after breakfast feed, and butternut squash for lunch. I then hope to expand a bit and mix things up. It's very much trial and error at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now