Talk

Advanced search

Weetabix OK?

(9 Posts)
elizabethbob Tue 23-Jun-09 20:03:45

My DS is really enjoying his weetabix mixed with banana or any other fruit. Annabel Karmel says that you can give weetabix once they are tolerating wheat. It says that there is 0.1g sodium or 0.24g salt in 2 biscuits. I'm giving DS half to 2 thirds of one biscuit. So about 0.05g sodium or 0.12g salt. Is that OK? He also slept really well for the first time in weeks and weeks last night after a bowl for his tea! Coincidence I'm sure....

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 23-Jun-09 20:05:07

if it is any help to you the sainsbury's value weetabix have no added salt.

Seona1973 Tue 23-Jun-09 20:08:11

they are allowed up to 1g of salt between 6 months and 1 year so 0.12g is a very small proportion of that. If your lo is enjoying it then that is the main thing.

elizabethbob Tue 23-Jun-09 20:17:23

That's good to know. Thanks!

Chulita Wed 22-Jul-09 12:46:50

Try Oatibix too - they make great finger foods once they're a bit older. DD loves them! We live on Weetabix at the mo with apple/tinned peaches/banana/raisins mixed in. It's the only thing I can rely on DD to eat for tea and it properly fills her up grin

aendr Wed 22-Jul-09 13:22:39

The Weetabix bites are the same as Weetabix (0.65g of salt in 100g), but the Oatibix bites are not - more salt (0.75g of salt in 100g) compared to Oatibix (0.38g of salt in 100g). The nutrition information is helpfully listed on http://www.weetabix.co.uk for perusal at leisure instead of in the supermarket with kids in tow.

Chulita Wed 22-Jul-09 14:32:13

Sorry, was being really unhelpful on the salt front blush. There's no way DD could eat enough of them to go over the reccommended salt limit and we don't add salt to any of her food (and we bake our own saltless bread) so I don't reckon a few Oatibix would hurt. But if you're worried then yea, they have more salt...sorry! [wanders off to find something helpful to say]

Chulita Wed 22-Jul-09 17:25:16

Ooh! A helpful comment, Ready Brek is practically salt-free and is a bit like Weetabix once you've mixed it all up grin

AcademicMum Fri 24-Jul-09 23:23:41

Hipp make a sort of weetabix called Hippabix. These are low salt and sugar. We gave ours shredded wheat more often than weetabix though as they don't have any added ingredients (but the texture is more difficult to negoiate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now