Talk

Advanced search

please help me not give him solids early

(14 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Fri 19-Jun-09 08:54:19

everyone is telling me to shovel baby rice down my 19 week ds to try and cure his sudden inability to sleep. I want to resist but need ammunition why he shouldn't have it yet to throw back at people - any suggestions?

AddictedtoCrunchies Fri 19-Jun-09 08:57:20

Because the gov't guidelines are not to do it before six months. End of!!!

Is DS on formula? If so, try hungry baby version - that's what I did with DS and he was a big lad.

they go through stages and cylces of when they want to sleep so you just have to see it out as best you can. My DS is 16.5 months and has decided that 4.45am is the time to get up!

MrsTiggiwinkle Fri 19-Jun-09 09:00:12

You will get a raft of responses from people (including me) who will confirm that starting solids (even after six months) did not help their DC sleep through the night.

TBH the only person who I think deserves anything other than, "my baby, my choice not to" is DH/DP.

ExplodingBananas Sat 20-Jun-09 22:16:33

My 5mo started waking around 4am and did this on and off for 2 weeks. I gritted my teeth and waited and he went back to his usual pattern of waking around 7am, without starting to wean him.

moaningminnie2020 Sat 20-Jun-09 22:31:51

I started weaning DD at 17 weeks, she never slept through til 12mo

DS started weaning at 24 weeks and slept through, sometimes, from 11 weeks. I think it just depends on the baby. And more calories in milk than a bit of yucky wallpaper paste. If wait til 6mo or very nearly, can go onto real foodgrin

Sidge Sat 20-Jun-09 22:40:27

Baby rice is vile pap.

I fail to see how a smidgen of calories contained in a few spoonfuls of gloop at teatime can fill a baby enough to help it to sleep longer at night. If you give 'solids' (I would question whether baby rice can be considered solids grin) at say five o clock they would be digested by bedtime anyway!

Sleeping through is developmental and IME largely unrelated to what a baby is or isn't eating.

BlackberryFool Mon 22-Jun-09 11:35:58

Message withdrawn

GreenMonkies Mon 22-Jun-09 11:42:52

Just laugh and say "noo, he's far too young for solids yet!" End of, not their business.

There's a growth spurt at this age, let him feed as often as he wants, it will last for about 2 weeks or so and then calm down again, and then, when he is sitting un-aided, picking things up and putting them in his mouth and not dribbling as much (which shows he s swallowing his spit rather than letting it drool out of his mouth!) then put him in the high chair and give him cooked broccoli florets and carrot sticks to play with.

Ignore the idiots who think baby rice is food, or will make him sleep at night, they are exposing the level of their ignorance and should be pitied...... grin

PinkTulips Mon 22-Jun-09 11:48:58

dd, solids at 17 weeks to try and help her reflux.
reflux not improved, sleep worse and food intolerances now

ds1, snatched food at 5 months, slowly started blw but didn't give much til 6 months. better eater, sleeper and no intolerances

ds2, will be waiting til 6 months. he's 19 weeks and his sleep got terrible recently but them this week he's gone back to sleeping through, less milk and no solids....

babies are funny things... he can't need food at this age, in fact, the strain on his digestive system will probaby make the sleep worse.

notevenamousie Mon 22-Jun-09 11:52:46

It doesn't work.

No really, it doesn't.
And blw produces less allergies/ intolerance/fussiness/sleeplessness.etc.

I found it really hard, but truly, it didn't help.

treedelivery Mon 22-Jun-09 11:54:32

It hasn't many calories in at all. <<Dashes to find that list where.....>>

treedelivery Mon 22-Jun-09 11:57:29

good

usefull

people always assume babies who cry/don't cry sleep/don't sleep are hungry. Its odd!

treedelivery Mon 22-Jun-09 11:58:08

As in 'other people', not you op grin

ijustwant8hours Mon 22-Jun-09 12:41:27

dd is 6m in a week and a half. She's been waking up in the night for a feed for the last few weeks and all i've heard about is how i should give her solids so i feel your pain!

DS is 2.5, he eats solids, he sleeps worse than his sister grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now