Talk

Advanced search

Is 20 weeks too early to start on a few tots of baby rice?

(13 Posts)
SleepyCaz Thu 18-Jun-09 16:42:57

DD 20 weeks has started to wake for feeds after previously sleeping through, demand more milk during the day, put everything in her mouth, and stares at us as we eat our food. Is it time to wean? Weaned DS, 3 at 22 weeks and he was fine. Any ideas?

CherryChoc Tue 23-Jun-09 11:53:52

Yes, too early. She needs more milk, not baby rice, sorry

wahwah1270 Tue 23-Jun-09 12:39:44

too early

Heartmum2Jamie Tue 23-Jun-09 12:53:33

I would say too early too

bubblagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 12:54:35

do what you think if you feel she's ready then do it we were advised from 16 weeks to introduce small amount and ds was perfectly fine

Lulumama Tue 23-Jun-09 12:55:50

is she sitting up unaided? hsa she lost her tongue thrust reflex? could she grab a bit of food, get it to her mouth, chew and swallow it? if so , then by all means try some food as her gut is most likely mature neough to handle something other than rice

BUT at this age, i would satisfy her increased hunger with more milk which is more filling, calorific and nutritious

so try more milk first as that should help satisfy her hunger

is she breast or bottle fed?

Lulumama Tue 23-Jun-09 13:03:29

bubblagirl , solids are not advised now before 17 weeks and weaning is one area where i think parental instinct can;t solely be relied on as you cannot see inside your baby's gut to see if it is ready for food.

NHS and DoH recommend weaning around 26 weeks with a combination of puree and finger foods and say that wanting more milk and waking more are NOT signs of needing weaning

bubblagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 13:07:37

hospital advised my ds to start on solids then he was more than ready suffered bad from reflux was a terribly hungry baby and was extremely big for his age

bubblagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 13:08:38

hew as 16wk 5 days so only few days out anyway

Lulumama Tue 23-Jun-09 13:09:30

well, reflux and weaning under the advice of a peadiatrician is totally different isn't it?

on the whole, babies without other issues can wait a bit longer for solids

KingRolo Tue 23-Jun-09 13:13:03

Milk has more calories than baby rice so if she's hungry more milk is the best option at this age.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Jun-09 13:23:59

Message withdrawn

nobreadhere Wed 24-Jun-09 14:59:57

as mum of huge 11 pounder who looked 3 mths when born, I was nagged continually about weaning him practially from when he came out! Its easy to find oneself under a lot of pressure.

DS looked interested in food too and got pretty hungry but I stuck to my guns. Gave him more milk, not hungry baby stuff, just more. Was BF but introduced formula nearer 6months, wasn't my ideal, but figured it was better more milk than early weaning.

Weaned him at 6mths, ate like dream, easy-peasy. Now 11 months and eating whole tomatoes etc and very pleased with himself. Also weaning is a faff, why make things difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now