Talk

Advanced search

What finger foods do you feed your 8 month old?

(10 Posts)
BeautyandtheBreast Thu 18-Jun-09 11:35:14

looking for some inspiration please...I worry terribly about choking so knowing what works for others would really help.

GeckoLovingHornedThing Thu 18-Jun-09 11:39:12

banana
brocolli
pancakes
mashed potato

trying to think of things that you will feel ok with re. choking

but seriously your dc will be fine as long as you stay with him whilst he is eating

coughing and vomitting are not the same as choking, dont be too alarmed

with gecko I just gave her a smaller portion of what we were eating at that age

BeautyandtheBreast Thu 18-Jun-09 11:44:34

I feel like I'm really behind, only been giving her purees.

Think I was waiting for teeth to show, but that's not happening yet.

bearhug Fri 19-Jun-09 16:16:20

breadsticks, rice cakes, toast (but not bread as that just seems to stick to the roof of their mouths)

bits of cheese, soft ripe fruits like pears, strawberries, plums etc

They all go soft in the mouth so no teeth required!

Sprogstersmum Sat 20-Jun-09 15:20:24

My 8mo has any kind of bread, toast, breadsticks, cooked veg eg: sweet pots, carrot, brocolli, green beans, cucumber, banana, cheddar cut into sticks, baby biscuits, cocktail sausages (only v occasionally as not v healthy at all!) I'm, sure she has other stuff but can't remember it all, and she's only got two teeth, she just sucks and chews till it goes soft.

jrsqueak Sat 20-Jun-09 15:25:49

my 8 month has been blw so has been havin finger food since 6 months - ideas - toast with spread on eg, cheese, humous etc, cooked veg, rice cakes, any fruit cut into sticks, crumpets, porridge pancakes, cheese on toast, teacakes, fruit loaf,

GeckoLovingHornedThing Sat 20-Jun-09 15:27:22

the gums are very very hard and used for chewing with no problem

Jojay Sat 20-Jun-09 15:42:00

My 7.5 mth old's favourites are cheese omelette, strawberries, banana, baby biscuits / rusks, macaroni pasta, bits of bread spread with philly, hummous or tuna mayo, egg mayonnaise.

He's had a lot of finger food from the start so he's pretty adept now.

I know the choking thing is scary but the main thing is to let her go at her own pace and let her put things in her mouth herself, don't pop them in for her to start with. Also, make sure she's sitting properly upright and isn't reclined at all.

Gagging isn't the same as choking, it's a safety reflex to move food forward in her mouth, and generally they're not phased by it in the slightest. The gag reflex point is a lot further forward in a baby's mouth so they do gag mor ethan we do, but it's all perfectly normal and nothing to be scared about smile

BeautyandtheBreast Sun 21-Jun-09 17:47:45

Thanks for the replies.

If you were giving toast for example, would you cut it like a soldier for a boiled egg?

Tried a cucumber stick and she chewed on it but didn't actually eat any of it.

3andahalfmonkeys Mon 22-Jun-09 08:17:23

I either cut into soldiers or ino 4 squares/triangles. Doesn't matter really I don't think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now