Talk

Advanced search

Baby mainly fed on jars....

(28 Posts)
berri Mon 15-Jun-09 19:14:17

Is this a huge no-no? He tends to eat much less if I give him one of my concoctions, even if it's exactly the same as the jar combo!

He also really likes yoghurts so I'm a bit worried he's ending up eating nothing but un-home-cooked stuff.

Should I be persevering with my recipes, or just offer him the organic jars which he wolfs down happily?

differentID Mon 15-Jun-09 19:16:21

how old is he?

LisaJasper Mon 15-Jun-09 19:17:31

When my ds turned 7 months he refused to eat anything I had cooked him apart from fruit purees, I started him on jars (which I hated and felt like a terrible mother for doing!) then after a while I introduced some of my home cooked stuff again little by little until he all of his meals were home cooked, I wouldn't worry too much about it as it is probably just a phase - however my ds is still incredibly fussy!!!!

mrsdisorganised Mon 15-Jun-09 19:19:08

I would perservere (sp?) with home cooked things, I used jars in emergencies (days out etc) and bought fruit purees and yogurt as treats. He will eat if he's hungry don't panic! smile

KingRolo Mon 15-Jun-09 19:19:38

He could be seeming to be eating less because your homemade stuff is better quality? Less 'filler' like water and baby rice for example. So it looks like he's having less but is actually eating just as much in terms of calories consumed.

Only a guess, I'm no expert, believe me. DD and I have been having a real old rollercoaster ride with weaning smile.

sarah293 Mon 15-Jun-09 19:20:33

Message withdrawn

choufleur Mon 15-Jun-09 19:22:03

DS has a stomach bug at about 6 months (guidelines 17 weeks to start weaning then) which really knocked him back and he would only eat jars. i gradually mixed a bit of home cooked in with the jar food until it was mostly home cooked and then just stopped with the jars, unless we were out etc.

Don't flog yourself though - its not the end of the world if he eats jars of food for a while.

PacificDogwood Mon 15-Jun-09 19:25:39

My DSs tended to prefer jars v early on into the weaning process, I think because they were "smoother" than my home made effort. Over time that changed and when I recently offered DS2 aged 5 a spoonful of jar food intedended for DS3 aged 14 months he thought it was disgusting.
Personally, I found a mixture of feeding them home made purees and jars on the one hand and a kind of BLW (I am not a purist, can you tell wink) worked really well, with minimal upset for me and baby in question. DS3 now eats normal family dinners with the rest of us - and has a go at feeding himself with a spoon, or even more alarming with a fork, LOL!
Keep offering him different tastes and textures. If he refuses something, leave it be, and try again in a couple of weeks.

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:25:50

No idea if it's a common problem, but when DS was weaning, he went through a phase of only eating if it was in jars and got horribly constipated. As soon as he got back to eating home made stuff he was fine.

Maybe if you're cooking the same thing that's in the jars, you could mix them up and gradually increase the amount of home-made until he goes off the jars?

LilianGish Mon 15-Jun-09 19:27:46

Dd had everything home cooked and pureed, ds had jars (much lazier and more laid-back approach to second baby!). No difference in either of them - both reasonably good eaters, neither overweight. Don't beat yourself up there's nothing wrong with making life a bit easier for yourself sometimes - I'd do home cooked when you've got the time and the inclination and jars for a quick fix. Incidently I found it much easier to be reasonable if ds was having a picky day than if dd rejected one of my carefully prepared concoctions!

bamboobutton Mon 15-Jun-09 19:28:00

ds was fed on jars for ages as i was so scared of him choking, he's 16mo now and eats normal food and isn't fussy at all, his fave food is jamie oliver curry, yum.

NoTart Mon 15-Jun-09 19:29:27

I think he eats less of hm stuff because it´s more calorific, not just a bit of food and massive quantity of water etc.

Jar weaned babies don´t learn to accept natural variety in food, which is very important. And would you like to survive on just a few different foods? Not very exciting and definitely not something you actively want to teach your child..

LilianGish Mon 15-Jun-09 19:33:24

"Jar weaned babies don´t learn to accept natural variety in food, which is very important" - sorry, but that was not my experience.

Rhian82 Mon 15-Jun-09 19:44:02

Ooh I could have written that first post! DS is eight months, and I really never intended to use jars, but it's just gone that way. I'm really determined to move onto home cooked though, have a book from the library and am all set!

(It's a pain for me as I never normally cook anything, DH, who is at work in the days, deals with all food stuff. And there's nowhere safe for DS in the kitchen, so I can't spend too long in there preparing stuff or he gets upset)

I really want to get him into strong flavours, we eat a lot of curries and chilis, stuff like that, and I want him to be able to eat them as soon as he can take it! (He's fully breastfed, so hopefully he's been getting some of the tastes through his milk).

NoTart Mon 15-Jun-09 19:45:34

DD 1 had a lot of jars. There were only a finite number on the market. So her diet was not varied.

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 19:47:13

DS1 lived on jars - he eats EVERYTHING!!! DS2 - the same, but now eats very limited diet (due to autism).

berri Mon 15-Jun-09 21:07:33

Thanks for your replies - forgot to mention ds is 6.5 months.

Rhian82 I'm the same - my dh does all the cooking so I think part of the problem is that I don't really know what I'm doing! I have got a stash of frozen stuff I've pureed though, but he really just doesn't seem to like it as much!!

I think I'll carry on just giving him a mixture of both, and try to lean more towards the home-cooking - it'll help me too in the long run I guess!

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jun-09 21:14:18

My DS (9 months) eats most things I give him, but far more if I give him a jar. I think it is because home made food is much denser in texture, taste, nutrients etc. He usually has our previous nights leftovers mushed up. I tend to take jars when we are out and about all day. He is quite happy with curries!

Wigglesworth Mon 15-Jun-09 21:26:12

My DS (10 months) despises jars, he screws his face up as if you have just fed him a piece of dog turd. He won't let me feed him with a spoon or eat mushed up food (he hasn't for the last 2 months) unless it's a yoghurt (surprise, surprise), it feels like each meal time is a battle usually with tears (not just from him).
Now I am just starting to try baby led weaning (BLW) and he is sooo much happier and will try and usually eat virtually anything I put in front of him. It's really messy and he takes ages to eat his meals now, however he loves it and it is easy to take him out cos he can pretty much have what we have. I wish I had done it sooner TBH. I now have to try and convince the staff at the nursery he is at to do BLW with him, not sure how that will go down though.

bamboostalks Mon 15-Jun-09 21:35:24

Jars are not a good idea when they make up the bulk of the diet. This is because the food has been pastuerised and heated to sterilise it and extend its shelf life. This means that most of the vitamins and nutrients in the vegetables and fruit have been destoyed. If he is hungry he will eat, do not give in.

PacificDogwood Mon 15-Jun-09 22:03:14

Get a Bamix style food mixer and puree last night's dinner for him: easy, peasy, gets rid of leftovers and gets him used to the flavour of homemade cooking grin! I used to add soft cheese ie Philadelphia to almost anything, or a bit of olive oil.
DS1 would not touch fingerfood at all - too messy for him. To this day he hates getting his fingers sticky or even wet (he is now 6 and eats strawberries with a fork blush). DS2 lover fingerfood and did not much like being fed with a spoon until he could do it himself. DS3 is mixture, I suppose.
What I am getting at: follow your baby's lead. Far less stress, more fun at dinner time and no horrible power struggles.

jkklpu Mon 15-Jun-09 22:06:37

agree with just pureeing whatever you have for your meals
and maybe there's a little tricksiness in here, too - put your home-cooked stuff into a jar and feed him that to see if you can con him, while, at the same time, giving him stuff that actually tastes like food

MarmMummy Mon 15-Jun-09 22:19:29

My DD was like this, and at one point would only eat two varieties of the plum baby pots shock

If you look at the ingrediennts they seem to all contain pureed fruit, so I think they taste sweeter. I tried adding a cube of pureed apple to my recipes and it seemed to work. That and cheese sauce on everything!

She's now 13 months and eats normal food very happily!

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jun-09 22:21:38

I wouldnt expect a 6.5 mth old to have a terribly diverse diet because their main food is still milk. Jars are a satisfactory alternative to your own and babies are notoriously faddy with foods whilst weaning. Don't worry smile

Rhian82 Mon 15-Jun-09 23:12:48

I like the idea of just pureeing last night's meal for him, but so much of what we eat isn't suitable - it's either a super-spicy curry, or has lots of salt or something like that in. I think one good thing that's eventually going to come out of having DS is that we're going to be forced to eat healthier ourselves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now