Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone share their weaning routine with me?? I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!

(8 Posts)
Mini24 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:25:24

Hi

I started weaning my 6 month old 2 weeks ago. We started off on lunch, where I gave her a bottle of 6oz at 12pm and then some baby rice or puree at 1pm. Initially she only took a spoonful but by now that surely should have increased??

She still only has very little, and fidgets a lot during feeding making it harder to feed her. She doesn't seem interested.

I started some breakfast this week, she has milk between 8 and 8.30am and then fruit puree or porridge at 9am, again the same problem!

This is my routine:

8-8.30am 6oz milk

9am breakfast

12pm 6oz milk

1pm lunch

4.15pm 7oz bottle

8,15pm 7oz bottle (doesn't always drink all)

bedtime

She has been sleeping through without a feed since I introduced breakfast.

I spoke to the HV and she suggested giving solid lunch half way through her 12pm bottle as she may not be hungry after having a whole bottle - I tried that today but she screamed when I took the bottle away half way through her feed!! Couldn;t get any solids down her, she was too distressed!

Don't know what to do, what the HV said makes sense, but is it something that she just needs to get used to?

Interested in what other peoples routines are.

Sorry for rambling on a bit

Thanks x

ChocOrange05 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:56:44

If she is gaining weight, generally a happy baby and most importantly wink sleeping well, then don't worry - she will increase the solids in her own time. Milk is the most important part of their diet until they are 1.

You could try giving her a smaller bottle before her lunch - say 4oz - and then give her a yoghurt or a meal made with milk to make up the other 2oz? Just a thought if you really want to get solids into her.

marmoset Thu 11-Jun-09 21:04:11

My dd is 7m old and I found that the first month of weaning was really just about first tastes - no real nutrition, just trying different flavours. As soon as she turned 7m she started eating a little more - now we have a really small bowlful at each meal (about the size of a small baby jar - I checked one for comparison).
Maybe try the solids before the lunch time bottle?
I wouldn't worry - I think we feel that they should be on 3 course meals as soon as they start solids - choco is right that you have to go at their pace.

EffiePerine Thu 11-Jun-09 21:07:00

DS1 didn't really take to food until he was about 9 or 10 mo and I don't think this is unusual . Weaning is about starting to introduce stuff other than milk, she may take a while to get used to the idea!

Also, have you tried her on finger foods? That way she can pick up what she fancies and have a gum on it.

Ceebee74 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:11:00

Not sure if this will help but my routine with my DS2 (who I think is a very similar age to yours) is as follows:

7am - 8oz bottle

8-8.30 - breakfast (porridge or weetabix and fruit puree)

11am - 7-8oz bottle

Somewhere in between these 2 bottles, I give him lunch (depends on his naps and when he is awake) - usually something savoury

3pm - 7-8oz bottle

5.30 - tea - usually finger foods such as ricecakes, banana, toast, other fruit.

7.15 7-8oz bottle and then bed

He actually much prefers the finger foods and feeding himself to being spoonfed purees so have you tried her with finger foods?

The actual volume is not really important at this age so really don't worry about it - and rather than stick to a routine, just give her some solids when she is not too hungry and not too tired.

Also, I have never done the 'half bottle, solids, rest of bottle, because DS2 would do exactly what your DD did and absolutely scream the house down grin

Mini24 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:28:06

Hi all

Thank you for all your replies, really appreciate it.

I've been trying giving DD her lunchtime bottle and solids together and it seems to be a bit better, although she still doesn't like it if I only give her half a feed then solids, so we do a full feed and then solids - hoping we will slowly be able to cut back on the milk at lunch and increase the solids.

Think I will give it another week before I introduce solids at tea time.

Thanks again - if theres anyone else out there that can tell me what routine their little ones are on it'll help - thanks x

ChocOrange05 Sat 13-Jun-09 17:53:02

Mini we have been weaning DS for 4 weeks now and he is only just started cutting down on his 11am breastfeed - I think the introduction of breakfast helps this but he's been having it for 3 weeks and its only now showing a knock on effect to the 11am feed.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 14-Jun-09 10:47:29

I breast feed my 9mth old DS but even so, we are in a routine of sorts so it might help you:

(DS feeds several times throughout the night too)

6:00am - Up and BM

8:00am - Breakfast- Oatibix/porridge/toast and butter/fruit/scrambled egg + drink of water

8:30am - 10:00am Nap

10:00am - BM

12:00pm - Lunch (whatever I've made), fruit and drink of water

12:30pm- 1:30pm Nap

2:00pm - BM

3:30pm - 4:30pm Nap

5:00pm - Dinner (whatever I've made), fruit + drink of water

5:30pm - 6:00pm - Bath, brush teeth.

6:00pm - 6:30pm - BM + bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now