Talk

Advanced search

6 Month old not interested in solids

(8 Posts)
envy27 Wed 10-Jun-09 17:40:33

Hi. I've started weaning my 6 month old dd - been trying for about 2 weeks, but she is just not interested. I have tried a variety of foods - fruit purees, baby rice, lentils, porridge etc but so far she has liked nothing. In fact she cries and gets quite angry everytime I offer her a spoonful and just turns her head or clamps her mouth shut. She happily has her milk - has never been a big eater but takes what she needs. Anybody been through anything similar or just any suggestions?

Just leave it a couple of weeks then try again. And if she still isn't interested, leave it another couple of weeks and try again! At some point in the next few months she'll start to show an interest, doesn't matter when.

nicnic01 Wed 10-Jun-09 21:37:25

My DD was the same. I just tried tiny amounts every day but if she wasnt interested I just stopped. It took a few weeks but she eventually began to get the idea. If its the spoon she doesnt like, maybe you could just put a tiny dot of food on your finger just so she gets an initial taste? She might then get used to it and be more willing to accept the spoon. The other thing that helped us was feeding dd while we were eating. She liked to join in and taste/suck bits of veg off our plate. Good luck but dont worry about it. Just keep giving her the opportunity and she will take it when she is ready. My DD is 8 months and weel fed but still makes it difficult for me! She is a tad fussy (to say the least)!

envy27 Thu 11-Jun-09 08:20:42

Thanks for your comments - will keep trying and hopefully she will soon eat something. Is there any one or 2 foods that babies love? Just in case I have missed something that she may actually enjoy.

MrsJamin Thu 11-Jun-09 08:51:55

I'd clamp my mouth shut if you tried to feed me fruit purees, baby rice, lentils, etc. Have you heard of baby-led weaning? Worked well for me and my DS- means you ditch those kinds of foods and let the baby feed themselves with their hands when they're ready.

(Disclaimer: Sorry if you're aware of BLW already and you've decided not to go down that route)

seeker Thu 11-Jun-09 09:02:44

My dd didn't get solids at all til she was about 8 months. I'd wait a while and try again.

Coochicoo Thu 11-Jun-09 11:14:20

I agree with the others. Just give it a couple of weeks. If you make things for yourself that are 'baby friendly' just pop some bits on her tray and let her have a play. Eventually she'll eat something. My dd had little or no interest until around 8 months, and only then if she could feed herself. She's never tolerated being spoon fed.

Coochicoo Thu 11-Jun-09 11:14:20

I agree with the others. Just give it a couple of weeks. If you make things for yourself that are 'baby friendly' just pop some bits on her tray and let her have a play. Eventually she'll eat something. My dd had little or no interest until around 8 months, and only then if she could feed herself. She's never tolerated being spoon fed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now