Talk

Advanced search

BLW and Tripp Trapp chair

(29 Posts)
katieskids Tue 09-Jun-09 20:40:31

My DS2 is now 7m old and decided that he was not going to go down the puree route, refusing to open his mouth for the spoon and if I did manage to get a spoonful in he gleefully spat it out and knock the spoon out of my hand. So....I'm new to BLW but he loves it, no looking back, it is the right way for him. My dilemma is the highchair, I have a M&P primma pappa which has to be hosed down after each (very messy)meal and due to its size the chair doesn't sit close to the table, do I buy a tripp trapp to solve the problem of cleaning and sitting close to the table? Is it worth the expense? I will have to buy chair , baby set and harness. Is it worth getting the cushion set or will that just create more washing? Anyone with a tripp trapp please give me your opinions I don't want to make a very expensive mistake.

CMOTdibbler Tue 09-Jun-09 20:44:20

Buy an Ikea Antilop - 15 quid, and you can even put it in the dishwasher if you need to. Use with tray, or at the table.

I have a Tripp Trapp, and love it though.

zazizoma Tue 09-Jun-09 20:47:34

We have a Svan, similar to tripp trapp, and dd still manages to fling food everywhere and coat the chair. I'm not sure the type of chair is going to make much of a difference. I suggest a floor mat, but my experience is that you just have to bear with the mess until they get the hang of things. (Still waiting for that here, btw.)

katieskids Tue 09-Jun-09 20:54:09

I suppose I was thinking the chair would easy to keep clean as there are less nooks and crannys for squished fruit and bits of old food to lodge and fester in, plus I've been sold on the 'chair grows with the child' bit. The mess doesn't worry me it's more the awkwardness of my chair making me question whether a Tripp Trapp would be the right move. Is it worth spending £25 on cushions though?

CMOTdibbler Tue 09-Jun-09 21:06:05

Not worth 25 quid on cushions - they are a mare to clean. But it is a great chair and easy to keep clean.

It def grows with them - DS uses his to do cooking in the kitchen as it makes a great step stool

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 21:08:04

Ikea antilop for def - get a tripp trapp when he's older. Huge removable tray a great bonus! If you have to scrub the tripp trapp then the varnish comes off!

zazizoma Tue 09-Jun-09 22:32:07

We have cushions for the Svan, but I've given up on them. So no, I wouldn't think you need them.

I liked the "grow with your child" bit as well, though in reality my dc1 now sits in a real chair and dc2 has the Svan. IMHO, the difference between the Svan and Tripp Trapp is that the Svan is rounded while the TT is square-ish.

BTW, have you looked into a Handysit?

zazizoma Tue 09-Jun-09 22:34:03

Sorry, on more thought, there are actually still lots of places for food to hide in these chairs, you'd be surprised! Perhaps less than a normal high chair, though I think the IKEA one mentioned is a single molded plastic piece on legs.

DrJen Wed 10-Jun-09 08:07:44

Ikea antilop is a definite must on our house! SO easy to clean. We don't have a dishwasher... but the shower works well!
Don't bother with the inflatable cushion that you can buy - its really flimsy. Just use an old cushion that you don't mind food remnants on!

flamingobingo Wed 10-Jun-09 08:10:53

We have four tripp trapps. They are fantastic. I love that they are great for their backs as they get older - they have to sit on them to use the computer.

They do still get messy, but you're probably right that they're easier to clean.

They are very good value for money, in terms of how they grow with the child and can still be used when they're adults.

Don't bother with the cushions - we've had them and not had them and they're really not worth the money, and get manky and dirty anyway!

Tommy Wed 10-Jun-09 08:11:15

I wouldn't get the cushions - you need to wash them every day. I ued tea towels rolled up to wedge DS in.

We have 2 Tripp Trapps for DS1 and 2 - they are great but you can manage just as easily with a cheap booster seat type thing with a tray that comes off and is plastic = easy to clean.

(the flinging food phase doesn't last that long IME grin)

belgo Wed 10-Jun-09 08:11:30

My eight month old loves sitting in the tripp trapp, so do my two older children.

You difinitely don't need the cushion, but the harness is good, i've just bought a cheap harness that fits.

ChocOrange05 Wed 10-Jun-09 10:45:18

I have this and its ideal as DS sits right at the table, and when it needs a clean I just wash it in the sink and leave it outside/on the radiator to dry.

katieskids Wed 10-Jun-09 12:11:59

Ok no cushions then, that reduces cost by £25. I am looking at this long term, thinking that it can be used as a chair later on pushed up against the table as we have stools. Not sure when children are safe to sit up on them? 2 perhaps? Do I need to get the tripp trapp harness or is there a way to use a normal 5 point harness and secure it. I don't have any local shops that stock the chair so I'm relying on feed back on the manufacturers video and your views so thank you

fleacircus Wed 10-Jun-09 12:16:35

I've got the Tripp Trapp and love it. We got the baby set but never bothered with the harness, the seat is pretty secure for a child who can sit up alone and at first we never left DD unattended in it. Cushion set we got, was just thinking the other day that I wish I hadn't bothered and we wont get the cushions when we get the chair for our next child... although I love the chair enough that we will definitely get another!

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 12:21:36

We never used the harness - DS was very secure with the baby set on.

I think we took the baby set off when DS was coming up to 2. I'm quite happy to sit on it too

trixymalixy Wed 10-Jun-09 12:33:20

Definitely no cushions. I'm about to sell our cushions on ebay as they were too much hassle.

My DS is just over 2 and we took the baby set off a couple of months ago as he was wanting to climb up and down himself.

We have a harness, but have used it maybe twice. It'll depend on your child though whether you feel it's necessary or not.

My friends with Dc the same age have all ditched their big plastic highchairs and their DC sit on booster seats or cushions, but I love the fact that DS's tripp trapp will last him for years yet.

Washersaurus Wed 10-Jun-09 12:35:40

I like to sit on the DS' tripp trapp chairs too - so comfy when I am sewing grin

Hmm we do use the cushions on the back of the seat for DS2 but don't bother with the straps or the seat cushion as it always ends up covered in food (btw the covers are quite wipeable - the plain cord ones are much more durable than the printed cotton ones I've discovered).

I got lucky and bought DS2's seat from a 2nd hand shop for £15 with the baby set on - it was really disgustingly dirty but it was really easy to dismantle and clean and re-oil. Stokke even sent me a brand new leather strap for it (lovely lovely people they are smile

WindUpBird Wed 10-Jun-09 14:12:07

I love the Tripp Trapp and find it really easy to clean. I just use a wet cloth (no detergent or anything) and haven't found that the varnish comes off - I've got 2, one for me 3 y-o and one for the 1 y-o. I bought 2 as I'm hoping they'll use the chairs throughout their childhood. I've noticed that their posture is great in the chairs - tbh I've only really noticed it once they use highchairs in holiday homes/restaurants which make them slump and slide down!!
I have the Antilop at my mum's and that is even easier to clean (and also good for posture, I think), but obviously doesn't 'grow' with the child.

JessJess3908 Wed 10-Jun-09 15:47:55

I have a Tripp Trapp & love it - present from PIL. I took the cushion off once to wash it and never put it back on, so much easier to keep clean.

Have you seen the 'baby dan'? try john lewis:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230503883/Product.aspx

virtually identical and half the price. 2 of my friends have it and are v happy with it.

JessJess3908 Wed 10-Jun-09 15:47:56

I have a Tripp Trapp & love it - present from PIL. I took the cushion off once to wash it and never put it back on, so much easier to keep clean.

Have you seen the 'baby dan'? try john lewis:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230503883/Product.aspx

virtually identical and half the price. 2 of my friends have it and are v happy with it.

blithedance Wed 10-Jun-09 15:54:20

In this house we had an Ikea Antilop plastic chair for the messy stage and graduated to Tripp Trapp (still in use years later) at about 18mths. Never bought a baby set or tray for the TT. The Ikea chair is cheaper than the TT baby set and can be freecycled when you've finished with it. Seriously, go to Ikea and try it out in the cafe.

both of them will sit up to the table if you need to, but a plastic tablecloth for the floor is worth getting.

ohdearwhatamess Wed 10-Jun-09 16:08:46

Inthe monority here, but not worth the expense, imo, and we have one (and you definitely don't need the cushions).

With the benefit of hindsight I'd have bought a bog standard plastic chair. Wood type are a real PITA to clean, and the groves on the side of the Tripp Trapp impossible to clean. Mine is awful, despite my best efforts to clean it.

bohemianbint Wed 10-Jun-09 16:14:26

only prob with TT i find is that DS pushes himself bac kfrom the table all the time...

smellybulldog Thu 11-Jun-09 09:51:08

I've just seen the babydan chair on kiddicare for £62.97. After reading all these replies I think I might get it, thanks for that JessJess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now