Talk

Advanced search

How much milk does an 8mo drink?

(5 Posts)
EverybodyNeedsABosomForAPillow Tue 09-Jun-09 13:57:10

I'm just wondering what other 8 month olds are drinking... My breastfed dd seems to be drinking hardly any milk in the day (down to about 3 little - a minute or so - feeds then a bigger one at bedtime) but she then drinks LOADS during the night. Last night she must have fed 5-6 times, and not just comfort sucking, definitely drinking lots each time. Obviously I want to turn this around but not sure how to! She is eating solids 3 times a day (BLW) and although not much seems to go in, her nappies show that it is.

She also has 4 top teeth coming through so I wondered if that's why she's feeding so much at night, and maybe it's normal to not have very much milk in the day at this age.

Please let me know if you have an 8mo or if you can remember what your baby drank at that age! TIA

RosebudIncubator Tue 09-Jun-09 20:04:09

When are you b/feeding DD? After meals? In between?

At 8mths they get distracted so easily.

My 8 mth old has just given up on the boob all together. We started with BLW from just after he was 5 mths. (Though I do cheat, if we're having soup then I spoonfeed him).
At each meal he gets water, then was b/fed morning, after the pm nap and at bedtime till a couple of weeks ago, but he was really not interested, so I stopped. Temporarily resumed the morning feed (5 am-ish), but have stopped that now again.
He eats 3x a day & gets an afternoon snack of fruit usually after his pm nap.
At the moment I am struggling to get 7oz(total for the day!) of formula into him to replace the b/feeds.
He sleeps from 8pm till 5am. If he wakes sometimes DH gives him water.
I'm quite relaxed about what he's taking in because doing a mental tally he just about gets all proteins, carbs, etc. intended.
Teething can account for a lot of odd eating and feedign behaviours. But if you know what DD consumes and are comfortable with it then you can take drastic steps to wean her off her nighttime feeds. Try a dummy to get her back to sleep (if she'll take one), if it doesn't settle her give her water or fennel or chamomille tea from a bottle. Obviously keep an eye on her weight and poos and pees as well.
(The only baby that I knew among our friends that was a night feeder was the youngest of 3, with 2 boisterous brothers night feeding was how he ensured he got mum's undivided attention. :-))

RosebudIncubator Tue 09-Jun-09 20:04:46

Hope this helps. Good luck!

EverybodyNeedsABosomForAPillow Tue 09-Jun-09 21:00:40

Thanks for your reply Rosebud. Dd won't take a bottle (even of EBM) so I'm not looking to replace breastfeeding with anything else, just wondered if she was having enough milk in the day. Interesting that your ds was only having 3 feeds per day. I'm worried about the BLW mantra of "It's just for fun until they're one" and most nutrition still supposed to be coming from milk, so think she should be having more. Today she actually did take quite a lot more than the last few days, maybe because I have been making sure it's very quiet where I've fed her so she's less distracted. I wonder if that will mean less night feeding!

RosebudIncubator Mon 15-Jun-09 21:49:04

so has it got better at night?
Did the quiet feeding work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now