Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

my 1yr old only likes bread,yogurt and paper!

(8 Posts)
BooRadders Tue 09-Jun-09 13:39:08

Am hoping for some help as have struggled with weaning the whole time! Never had any problems with dd's siblings,so don't know how to go with this.Every time she was poorly she would only eat pots of puree or yogurt.Tried finger food with little sucess apart from toast. Got to a stage where I gave her a fish finger and green beans to try about 4 weeks ago because dcs were having that and she loved it,but she still just launches most food on floor without really trying it.Her diet seems to be yogurt,bread/toast/brioche and occasional veg,but may not eat something the next time i try it!Feeling a bit stressed about her poor diet!Maybe I shouldn't worry.She has am and pm BF.All suggestions gratefully received!

AitchTwoOh Tue 09-Jun-09 13:43:01

personally, i wouldn't get too bothered about it. have you thought of supplementing with vitamins so that you feel a bit better about it, and in the meantime just keep doing what you're doing? i mena you can't force-feed them, can you? smile

BooRadders Tue 09-Jun-09 14:02:42

Thanks Aitch.I know... I try not to get too upset about it,I guess it's because she is quite low weight and I'm frustrated with her not eating!She is obviously not bothered!

AitchTwoOh Tue 09-Jun-09 14:09:57

aaargh, low weight, that's not what you want is it if you're trying to be all relaxed and chilled-out about food? is she on formula as well as BM?

shootfromthehip Tue 09-Jun-09 14:27:42

I had the same problem with DD- she got ill at about the same age as your DD and went off all foods eating pretty much only bread, yogurt and cheese (not paper!). I fought with her for ages (til she was about 3) and all I did was stress myself out. She is not 5 and about a year ago I got hardline- it's this or nothing- but that is not going to work with a 1 yr old. I'd leave it at the mo- keep offereing the same food as everyone else and she'll eat it or wear it wink.

Don't get stressed about it if you can and tackle the issue when she is bigger. (DD is now one of the more experimental eaters I know- still not a big eater but will try most things).

Good luck- I know how worrysome this is!

BooRadders Tue 09-Jun-09 21:36:29

Thanks Shoot!I guess I know that I can only persevere,but it's nice to hear that someone else has had a similar experience!
Aitch- she only has BM,no formula. Has only ever fed 10-15min max as well,and been content on that.

AitchTwoOh Tue 09-Jun-09 21:59:33

i'd think about taking some advice on giving her formula if she really is skinny, rather than worrying about food. if she's having just a couple of feeds a day, i mean. but then that's probably WRONG iykwim? i'm not a bfing expert so i'd maybe ask them.

and obviously some peanut butter on the bread, some double cream in the yog etc...

WindUpBird Wed 10-Jun-09 14:23:53

Hello Boo, I sympathise!! I have a 3 year-old who more or less got the hang of solids by 9 months. BUT I have a 13 month-old and literally in the last few days he has just begun to consume solids. Before, he has loved playing with food and making a mess, chewing it for ages but ultimately spitting it out. Sigh. Similar to your DD, he wolfed down a fishfinger a couple of weeks ago and is also now partial to the odd bit of brioche!

I was getting really stressed too, as he is skinny (born on the 75th centile and steadily dropped to 25th) but I'm hoping that now he is getting the hang of it. Yesterday he ate half a satsuma and a bit of cheese omelette. A major breakthrough. I've found that he is more likely to eat when being held, or if I help him to put tiny bits of food on a fork that he then guides to his mouth(!)

Incidentally, he had some blood tests recently (not related to his feeding) and despite never having eaten ANYTHING when they were taken at 11 months, his iron and calcium counts were much higher than average. So he was getting all he needed from BM all along. If you are worried re DD you could ask a doc if she needs vitamins, but she too might be getting all she needs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now