Talk

Advanced search

How did you get your baby to drink from a Doidy

(11 Posts)
dorisbonkers Sun 07-Jun-09 16:13:36

without it going everywhere?

I'm bf and BLW my 7 month old and because she was constipated a little I've been offering water in a TT spouty cup thing, but have a Doidy.

Just wondered how you all started them with an open cup like the Doidy?

Wigeon Sun 07-Jun-09 19:53:38

My DD is almost 1 and she needs a lot of help with her Doidy (ie me holding it and gently tipping it into her mouth) as she is prone to just turn it upside down! But she can grip the handles. We only introduced it about 3 weeks ago (kind MNetter gave it to us!). There's no way she would have been able to manage it at 7 months. Sounds good that your LO can use the Tommee Tippee.

dorisbonkers Sun 07-Jun-09 22:30:45

Oh good, I had this vision that other babies were drinking from them at 4 months without much help grin

wastingmyeducation Mon 08-Jun-09 16:52:17

I've been wondering the same doris.

DS uses TT lidded beaker, but I want him to learn an open cup. I've got the Doidy, but he tips it up, and then tries to drink from it when it's empty.

Wigeon Mon 08-Jun-09 18:58:06

I don't know any babies who were using the Doidy at 4 months - and hardly any of DD's friends can use it without help at 1 year.

They're all speaking fluent Russian and have learnt to knit and waterski though...

HensMum Mon 08-Jun-09 19:06:38

Wait until they're 18 months old! grin
I bought one for DS at 6 months, and had no luck with it - he didn't understand it at all and kept tipping it everywhere.

I used the basic TT cup until recently then started trying the Doidy again and he can do it now. He can use all kinds of open cups now but prefers the Doidy as it's easier to control.

I do know babies that have used the Doidy earlier but have no idea how they managed it!

FenLondon Mon 08-Jun-09 22:16:39

We're supporting the cup while DD of 10 months drinks. She's determined to bring her head fwd to the cup rather than letting us tilt back - the mixed blessing of the doidy.
Funnily enough, she has a bath toy that's a ball that breaks into two hemispheres and she seems to drink perfectly from that. Just a shame it's bathwater...

Twinklemegan Mon 08-Jun-09 22:18:06

We didn't. We tried it and it was useless. A normal cup worked much much better.

ChocOrange05 Tue 09-Jun-09 09:03:38

I try and get DS (7mo) to hold the handles and he gets the part about tipping it but doesn't get the part where it all comes rushing out grin - so I hold onto it too.

Sariska Tue 09-Jun-09 11:54:24

My 14 month old now wants to use his doidy cup by himself - often to wash his hands in grin - but is not always dextrous enough! We started him with it at about 6 months old once I knew I was going to have to leave him overnight and he wouldn't take a bottle. Perseverance was crucial. Well, that and lots of bibs and muslins.... We used it once every day for an expressed BM feed. Think that was the key: he wanted what was in it so learned to drink from it. Not sure if he'd have been as keen if it was water. ....Although he does now drink water from it very happily.

angelene Tue 09-Jun-09 11:58:48

I really liked it - it was the only thing that DD would drink from, she started having it about 8/9 months I suppose. I held it for her and tilted it while she was on my lap - it was a long time before she held it herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now