Talk

Advanced search

weaning

(15 Posts)
trixabell Mon 09-May-05 16:43:15

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but...my almost 6mth dd won't take any spoon feeds .. we started well with baby rice, apple and carrot - 3 days of each but then she just turned her head away and kept her mouth closed...I offered her them again for the next 6 days each time the same thing. I left it for a few days and tried again on baby rice which she took a wee bit of.. but not really very interested in. Should I leave it for a week or keep trying - she doesn't like the spoon in near her mouth - which is funny cause everything else goes in there - even the bowl with the baby rice!!

koalabear Mon 09-May-05 16:46:13

have you tried a bit on your finger first? i put some on my finger and then let him taste it there - when he worked out that actually, pear is quite yummy, he was ok

also, i would just try baby rice with apple, rather than apple straight by itself, and also mix the baby rice with breast milk or formula (whichever you are using)

pear can also be a more palatable start

are you making the purees yourself, or buying ? if making the purees at home, sometimes you can use pure apple juice with the water as it seems to take some of the tartness away

hunkermunker Mon 09-May-05 16:46:59

Give her some bits of food to play with - steamed carrot batons, etc.

trixabell Mon 09-May-05 16:51:43

I tried the finger thing to start with and she seemed okay with it - it was only after a week that she decided she didn't want any!! I have been making them myself - and, sorry for not being clear, I gave her apple and carrot mixed with b. rice - funnily enough it was the pear that we stopped on??

maybe she isn't ready - but she looks at food and puts everything but the spoon into her mouth

MarsLady Mon 09-May-05 16:52:37

why not wait another week or so without offering her any solids. Maybe she's not ready!

trixabell Mon 09-May-05 16:55:08

can I give her carrot sticks - isn't she a bit young - sorry - first time mum and no idea on anything

hunkermunker Mon 09-May-05 17:00:32

Not raw carrot, but steamed and quite soft, yes. DS had them from six months. He had lots and lots of pieces of food and was happily eating sandwiches at 8 months - much to my friends' amusement

koalabear Mon 09-May-05 17:01:53

yes, you can give her carrot sticks - just cook them first so they are very soft

also, pieces of very ripe banana are useful

just a thought - what sort of spoon are you using? you can get different sizes and "softness" - maybe that might help

and for a bizzare twist, my son used to eat better if i sang to him and made silly faces - especially "Hickery Dickery Dock" - no reason why - go on, no one can see you

trixabell Mon 09-May-05 17:03:34

thanks kolabear - just so happen hickory dickory dock is one for dd fav's!! will try -

koalabear Mon 09-May-05 17:05:13

oh, also, i gave him his own spoon to hold similar to the one i was trying to put in his mouth - this has worked well, because now at 1 year, he likes to put his spoon in his bowl and put it in his own mouth (very messy, but lots of fun)

trixabell Mon 09-May-05 18:09:59

could the time of day help - I know you are mean't to give it to them with their milk - but if I feed her at 11am - can I give her the solids at 12 ??

I try her before her 11am feed - during and after but no real success.

koalabear Mon 09-May-05 18:57:51

i found it best to do solids at different time to milk - i would do milk at 7 11 3 7 and 11, and then solids at 8, 12, and 5 - these then become their meals, and later on, the milk feeds will gradually reduce as they start to take on more solids

some people do half the milk, then solids, then the remains on the milk feed, but i found this not to work for my son

trixabell Tue 10-May-05 08:55:10

thanks for all the advice - I'll try giving her some food at 12ish, make funny faces and sing songs - at least she'll be entertained!!!

hotmama Tue 10-May-05 09:07:34

Trixabell - I had this problem and posted in Mumsnet a few weeks ago. Sorry don't know how to do the link - but if you look under Food - Problems with weaning a 28 week old - you will find help from mumsnetters.

I spoke to my hv as I was worried that dd just wouldn't eat but was happy taking her milk. Basically, what I did was just not offer solids for a couple of days as mealtimes were becoming astressed battleground for us both. Then when I did she was fine - I think we both relaxed and she probably was hungry - still won't drink water but that'll be for another link if she doesn't start soon.

In terms of finger food my hv recommended giving cooked bits of broccoli and carrot as they turn to mush when in the mouth - dd gagged on toast etc. Am trying little organix ricecakes - these seem to be doing O.K. HTH

trixabell Tue 10-May-05 18:04:05

Thanks hotmama - I'll have a look -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now