Talk

Advanced search

When to wean - confused

(7 Posts)
MissHairspray Sat 06-Jun-09 09:34:47

DS is 19 weeks, ff and a large baby (92-98th ctle).

So far everything I have read from health professionals etc say that a) you shouldn't wean until around 6 months, and b) babies need to be weaned once they aren't able to drink enough milk to give them the calories they need (demonstrated by demanding extra feeds, going less time between feeds etc). Obviously size has nothing to do with how mature a babie's digestive system is, but does it ever mean that babies reach the stage of not getting enough calories well before the 6 month stage, and if it does, should you wean early or not? I just ask because ds has not increased the total amount of formula he drinks a day at all in the past 6 weeks or so (around 35oz) and his weight gain has slowed slightly, so I am a bit worried that he isn't getting all of the food he needs. On the other hand he is also going from 11 to 7 at night without feed, albeit waking several times, so I don't think he can be that hungry.

Sorry really waffly and lots of questions but hope you get my drift, thanks in advance smile

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Jun-09 09:39:02

If he is a very large baby he is obviously getting enough calories, and if he is still gaining weight I wouldn't worry, babies do go through phases of growing less, or less quickly than they did when newborn.

Wait till he's 6 months, he's obviously not hungry for more or he would be demanding more feeds.

TrinityRhino Sat 06-Jun-09 09:39:53

26 weeks smile

Unicornvomit Sat 06-Jun-09 09:44:34

around 26 weeks

signs are:"

loss of tongue thrust reflex

sitting unaided with good head control

ability to pick up food and get it to their mouths, chew and swallow

those signal that the gut is mature enough to handle something other than milk

sounds to me like he is doing brilliantly with milk , is growing well and sleeping well

sometimes introducing food can upset a good sleeping pattern by giving the baby a tummy ahce

weight gain can slow and even plateua, or like my DD, drop off..

but the most calorific and filling and safest thing to give an under 6 months old is milk

at the moment, based on what you say, he sounds satisfied
once he is stiing, you could put him in a high chair or on your knee and see if he can grab and chew food

PacificDogwood Sat 06-Jun-09 09:49:34

Most babies rate of growth slows down @ 4 months age, so that is quite normal.

Also, if he did need more calories he would demand more mild feeds. Milk contains more calories gram for gram than a bit of baby rice or pureed pear or whatever you want to start weaning with.

Wait until he is @ 26 weeks old to make sure his gut is matured (I caved in at 25 weeks with DS3 because I got bored and wanted to start making purees, blush I am not proud of it wink)

PacificDogwood Sat 06-Jun-09 09:50:12

Milk, obviously, not mild - aaargh!

MissHairspray Sat 06-Jun-09 14:19:44

Thanks for the info, I thought that was probably the case but when MIL etc keep telling you you should be giving solid food you start to doubt your own mind! I'll leave the purees alone for a while smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now