Talk

Advanced search

dropping milk feeds with weaning?

(6 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 03-Jun-09 10:29:26

DS is 7months and we started weaning at about 5.5months. His food diary goes something like:

7am breastfeed (20mins)
8am breakfast (yoghurt, fruit, weetabix)
11am breastfeed (5mins)
1pm lunch (mashed leftovers, finger food)
3pm breastfeed (this is one I think he's dropping)
5pm dinner (same as lunch)
7pm bedtime formula (8oz)
11pm formula dreamfeed (6oz)

The 3pm breastfeed he's been funny about the last 5 days, he'll go on the boob but will suckle for literally a couple of seconds and just won't take anything more - which is fine if he's just naturally dropping it, but I worry about him making it through from lunch to dinner, should I offer him a snack at 3pm if he continues to refuse the boob? He does tend to eat what seems to me a hell of a lot for his lunch

blondissimo Wed 03-Jun-09 17:24:19

I wouldn't bother with a snack either - if he's eating a lot for lunch then he should be able to go 4 hours without food - I would offer him some water or very diluted juice instead.
I know formula is different to breast milk, but at 7 months my ds was on a 8oz bottle in the morning, 4oz at lunchish time, and 8oz at bed. He soon dropped the lunch one too. Perhaps try to drop the dreamfeed as well - gradually cut it down. Hope that helps, although like they always say all babies are different!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 03-Jun-09 18:10:11

Thanks - I put a question about dreamfeed on BF topic, and think we'll gradually reduce that too and see how we go, just slgihtly worried about dropping two feeds at once? Should I in which case make sure his "main meal" (ie spoonfed rather than finger food) is at lunchtime to make sure he's filled up?

blondissimo Wed 03-Jun-09 19:23:08

Not too sure on that one - I had a Hipp weaning chart that I tried to roughly follow and it suggested by 9 months they should have a meal, pudding and drink at lunch and a sandwich or equivalent at tea time, with fruit and then milk feed at bedtime. Although I have heard it's best not to give fruit at tea time as it can sometimes make them poo in the night!
All the info is so conflicting! I would say just go with your baby - if he's naturally dropping the 3pm then lose that first, then maybe give it a week of being used to that, and then make the dreamfeed one oz less and move it back a bit so it kind of merges in with the bedtime feed eventually.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 03-Jun-09 22:32:29

totally agree with so much conflicting info, well proud of myself for dealing with weaning with limited stress so far, so will just chill and continue to follow his lead

thomasina1 Fri 05-Jun-09 20:02:18

Hi GWMTH, I've just posted on this in the breastfeeding topic as I'm having the same experience. Our feeds looked identical to yours but this week my DD dropped the 11am breastfeed (really wasn't interested at all, despite then going on to eat loads at lunch). I think she's going to stop the 3pm soon too.

Personally I would rather she dropped the 11pm feed and kept a mid afternoon one, but I don't know how to do this.

My concern is that I think they are supposed to continue to have at least 500ml milk up to 1 yr (of course no way of measuring if they are BF like my DD though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now