Talk

Advanced search

beans

(9 Posts)
bessie26 Thu 28-May-09 22:36:23

Possibly a silly question, but can I give beans/chickpeas etc to my 7month old DD?

I noticed that the Annabel Karmel meal planner doesn't have any recipes with beans in & I wondered if there was a reason?

My Rose Elliot book says you shouldn't give canned beans to babies under 8 months, but doesn't say why....?

izyboy Thu 28-May-09 22:43:34

Possibly indigestion cos of the skins. You could try a little mashed.

izyboy Thu 28-May-09 22:44:00

Maybe go for the low salt n sugar ones

Marthasmama Thu 28-May-09 22:47:07

Jane Clarke says you can introduce cooked chickpeas at 6 months and she seems pretty cautious. I have given dd (nearly 8 months) chickpeas but have taken the skins off just in case.

Overmydeadbody Thu 28-May-09 22:49:20

Yes beans are fine for babies, just make sure they are cooked properly if using from dried.

If you just mean baked beans I would avoid and make my own with haricot beans though, rather than buying the ready-made tins.

Overmydeadbody Thu 28-May-09 22:50:28

i used to make a sweet potato, chickpea and courgette mix for babies that was very popular. It combines the different tastes and textures really well.

ChocOrange05 Thu 28-May-09 22:54:05

The BLW book says they can have a small amount of baked beans (small because they have salt in them) so that would suggest beans are ok.

I guess they could present a choking risk, I ate some today and DS (6.5mo) wanted them but I was concerned he wouldn't be able to chew through the skin - he did with one but I was too worried to let him have any more.

That's just my thoughts - HTH!

FairMidden Thu 28-May-09 22:55:54

We found out the hard ay that while beans are a delicious and nutritious foodstuff, they must be reserved for lunchtime.

Beans with dinner always means a toddler waking up, kicking me in the head and farting in my face at 3am.

bessie26 Tue 02-Jun-09 21:17:26

brill thanks, think I'll get some chickpeas & try her on a bit of home made hummus (at lunchtime) - see what affect it has! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now