Talk

Advanced search

How much does it matter if my baby wants the same thing EVERY lunchtime?!

(7 Posts)
tinierclanger Thu 28-May-09 12:58:09

DS (10m) has got hooked on cream cheese, and is fixed on cream cheese, or cream cheese and avocado sandwiches at lunchtime. The only other things I've managed to get him to eat so far are eggy bread, and I now think he has an egg allergy so that could be a problem, and beans on toast. At teatime he's more experimental though, and I do manage to vary that more.

Is it a big problem or can I just go with it, and try him on other things but revert to the cream cheese backup? And what else can I try, esp ideas for sandwiches? He's not BLW but likes his sandwiches and finger foods in general. Only one tooth so not too good with hard stuff yet. Needs to be easy to prepare as he's quite high maintenance! Apparently he has just rejected a (non-cream)cheese sandwich from the grandparents <sigh>.

RoseOfTheOrient Thu 28-May-09 13:06:57

it matters not one jot! let him eat what he wants.
He is only tiny still, so don't think that this will mean he will only eat cream cheese sarnies until he is 18! Just keep offering other stuff, and he will no doubt eat that too eventually.

Shoofly82 Tue 02-Jun-09 15:41:40

i dont think it really matters too much - what you are giving him is healthy and dont forget - they live on nothing but milk for the first 5 or 6 months so they are not too bothered about variety. x

pigleychez Tue 02-Jun-09 17:51:38

I wouldnt worry. My 10 mnth old often has fav things but soon changes to something else.

Dinners are fine and she will eat whatever we have (BLW) but lunch shes more picky. Currently its raisins and bananas.
The previous fav of marmite on Wholemeal pitta, now gets thrown overboard!

MIAonline Tue 02-Jun-09 18:06:19

I will go against the flow and say it does matter a bit. The wider variety your DS gets used to at this stage, the better. Though it's definitly not worth worrying about, I would try not to keep falling back on 1 specific thing. Try other things rather than sandwiches at lunchtime.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Jun-09 18:10:00

Could you put cream cheese on other things? Or will he just lick the cream cheese off?

pagwatch Tue 02-Jun-09 18:12:51

Actually I agree with MIA.
It is not exactly a crisis but childrens pallete can easily start to restrict and optimum nutrition is obtained by as many different foods as possible.

I have a child who restricts his food and aged 12 it remains a huge issue.
I wish I had been a bit more determined when he was first showing predictable food patterns.

Personally I would just change things about a bit giving familiar 'comfort' food but adding other stuff. Like some ham or grapes with the cream cheese and serving with different bread or on an open bagel.
But it isn't anything to angst about...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now