Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

blws - how can i control the amount that goes in??

(8 Posts)
yarrow5 Thu 05-Feb-09 17:46:11

I finally took the plunge tonight and gave ds 25 weeks some toast. i was really really impressed with how he coped with it, holding, chewing etc & he was even swallowing it! anyway, the soggier it go the bigger the pieces going in were & he ended up gagging then brought the whole lot back up! i was so disappointed!!! anyone got any suggestions on how to avoid that?

CherryChoc Thu 05-Feb-09 18:06:02

Yarrow I think the idea is not to control the amount that goes in!

Don't be disappointed, as you said he was holding it, chewing it and even swallowing and from what I have read on here, not all babies can do that at 6 months. He will get the hang of it!

PortAndLemon Thu 05-Feb-09 18:09:58

They do (most of them) gag and occasionally bring it back up at the beginning. The idea is that they learn to control it themselves, but you could remove and replace with a fresh piece when you think it's got too soggy for him to manage sensibly.

What were you giving him? My little boy used to stuff in great handfuls of food at first, but later got the hang of how much he should put in his mouth at once.

For now, you could try putting just one thing on his tray at a time, no bigger than a chip, and seeing how he gets on.

yarrow5 Thu 05-Feb-09 18:30:44

never thought of replacing it!! good idea! i just ate the spare!!!!!

what other kinds of food r good to start with? i tried banana but i had to hold it for him because it was too slippery!!!

PortAndLemon Thu 05-Feb-09 18:34:46

Have you checked out www.babyledweaning.com? There are some great ideas on there. With banana, it's sometimes suggested that you can half-peel it, cut off the dangly bits of peel, and let them handle it that way. DD never managed that, though. We did better leaving it a few weeks and then giving her banana that had been split into three vertically (you know how if you sort of gently squeeze a bit of banana it splits into three bits?) as that was easier for her to hold. Now she can tackle the whole thing.

Habbibu Thu 05-Feb-09 18:36:50

Yes, the whole gag-vomit thing is a bit blee, but it rarely lasts long - they learn extraordinarily quickly.

yarrow5 Thu 05-Feb-09 19:14:06

thanks for the link portandlemon got lots of ideas now, am going shopping tomorrow!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now