Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can an 8mo be a 'fussy eater'?!

(5 Posts)
WibblyPigRocks Wed 28-Jan-09 17:43:02

In my sweet pre-motherhood ignorance, I thought that fussy eaters were simply toddlers who had silly 'whims' about food and that mothers who 'pandered' to these whims were simply their own worst enemy.

Is this coming back to haunt me already?!!

My 8mo isn't a very enthusiastic eater at the best of times - he's BF and on Sunday he bluntly refused all solids!! Today he ate his breakfast well and did fairly well on lunch but refused two previously-well-received foods before finally accepting some fruit puree with some baby rice in it - hardly a nutritious meal for an 8mo but I really wanted to get something in him.

He has a dairy allergy, which makes food choices a little harder (we're waiting for our paed appointment at the mo) but otherwise I'm just trying to give him a mix of mushed food and finger food.

Does anyone have an advice or experience of this?

PuzzleRocks Wed 28-Jan-09 19:16:57

Bumping for you.

IAteMakkaPakka Wed 28-Jan-09 19:23:13

At 8 months DS ate next to nothing some days (even though I worked) - he would hang on for BFs. By around 9 months he'd started to be a lot more enthusiastic but it definitely depends on the day. He's 18 months now and sometimes he doesn't eat much at all, and BFs more instead, and some days he eats until I think he'll explode!

I think fussiness isn't something you can really attribute to an 8 month old, it's just that some days they feel like the new tastes and textures of food, other days they don't. Nutritionally they can survive on just milk until a year old anyway, they don't require a large amount of solids at all. So I would say try not to worry because your boobs will take up any slack grin

ToastAddict Wed 28-Jan-09 20:20:45

Any chance he is teething? DD (9 months) doesn't want to eat anything except yoghurt when teeth are coming through.... and I figure she is already suffering enough, so I don't force the issue, just make sure she has more milk throughout the day

WibblyPigRocks Thu 29-Jan-09 09:40:26

Thanks.

IAMP - he def isn't one of those predictable babies, so it's good to know that's not 'fussy'!!

TA - I think teething is very likely - he's got a lot of the signs - we're just waiting for a tooth!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now