Talk

Advanced search

weaning disaster

(10 Posts)
fredly Wed 16-Mar-05 15:27:58

Hi all, I'm ready to bet that this has been posted at least a hundred times on mumsnet but I thought some of you might come up with the miracle cure ! Here I go. My dd is 6 months old and has been on solids since the age of 4mths. It started great, she would gulp down whatever I threw into her mouth, fruit, veggies, porridge, everything. But for about a month now she's been more and more fussy about her veggies, until today when she wouldn't have them at all. I suspect that's because what usually comes next are looooovely petit filous ! But today it was a proper meal (carrot, turnip and petit pois puree with chicken) or not nothing since I ran out of her beloved PF yesterday ! Result, I had to resort to a bottle of formula, that's all she would take. She would not even open her mouth to know what was on the spoon. And she was definitely hungry.
She will still eat fruit purees and porridge. She's not too keen on fromage frais.
Apart from starting the weaning plan from the beginning again, I don't see what I can do to make her enjoy her food again. I don't want every meal to turn into a battle. Any advice ?

bundle Wed 16-Mar-05 15:35:17

mix veg/chicken with fruit puree, i did this with mine, in fact made a recipe that had both in. also rehydrated dried apricots with chicken livers

PinkWebby Wed 16-Mar-05 15:36:58

I would say keep persisting it is hard, but try not to give in.

LoneVoiceinWilderness Wed 16-Mar-05 15:40:05

I'm having exactly the same prob with my 8month ds.
Last noght, wouldn't touch the carrot/lentil puree with the white fish I'd cooked especially and lovingly, but gulped down banana with blueberry puree and fromage frais.
I'll see how it goes tonight, and will read any recipe suggestions with interest............

fredly Wed 16-Mar-05 15:44:03

thxs Bundle. And gradually increase the amount of veggies and meat ?
After reading other threads, I've decided that PF from now on a definite no no in my house !!

fredly Wed 16-Mar-05 15:53:34

Bundle, can I steal some of your recipes ?

Loochyloo Wed 16-Mar-05 16:17:10

My ds loves his fruit (mashed or yes i admit it even jars) so if he's being a bit mardi about the veg (or savoury stuff) I give him one spoon of fruit then 2/3 of veg. He eats up the veg before his taste buds notice it's not fruit! Or else dip the spoon of veg in the fruit and give it to him. Prob encouraging terrible confusion and habits, but sometimes needs must..

jackeroo Wed 16-Mar-05 16:23:46

ds can be a fussy eater and not take to solids some days. he does like chicken mixed with avocado and banana or peach and greek yoghurt usually. i often have to have a combination of foods at the ready and see what he'll go for - then try to sneak in whatever he wouldn't have with the ones that he likes...

bundle Wed 16-Mar-05 16:28:11

sure, have to rush off now though. try natural yoghurt if you get the greek style thickstuff it has simliar texture to pf. less sweet obv so put some fruit puree in it.

madgirl Wed 16-Mar-05 18:09:03

echoing loochyloo (ciao carissima) ds1 was a bit like that with sweet and savoury, and i gave one spoon sweet, one spoon savoury for a long time. god it takes ages before you can start sounding like your own mother "no you can't have a cake if you haven't eaten your shepherd's pie" which works a treat. long live bribery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: