Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

8 1/2 month old not interested in solids, throws up starchy/ grain foods

(8 Posts)
Jacksmama Sat 01-Nov-08 19:43:34

My 8 1/2 month old DS is not at all interested in solids. He's exclusively breast-fed and clearly thriving - he's 22 1/2 lbs and 29 inches. I tried feeding him rice cereal at 5 months because my doctor insisted that "he NEEDS food by 6 months at the LATEST" and being an insecure new mum, I went along. Rice cereal and starchy foods made him violently ill (vomiting and nasty toxic stinky stools), and I think he was a bit traumatized by that and wasn't interested in anything that came on a spoon after. We did some research and found out that some babies don't develop the enzyme amylase which they need to digest starch until they're older, and I've read posts on kellymom that say it's fine to BF until whenever baby is ready for solids... anybody have similar experiences or any advice? Most of my girlfriends are only nursing their babies once or twice a day and are otherwise feeding their babies solids and are making me feel a bit weird... someone suggested I should have DS tested for allergies but I think he's just not ready for solids... anyone... please?

meandmyjoe Sun 02-Nov-08 08:53:56

Could you try him with veges and fruit and see how he takes to them? The allergy thing might be worth exploring. I'd get another doctor for him though, the advice he gave you on weaning is not the advice the World Health Organisation gives. Some babies aren't interested in solids til much later but the vomiting is not something I have come accross. Hopefully someone knows and will advise soon!

MrsJamin Sun 02-Nov-08 09:41:56

My DS is only dropping feeds now - at nearly 10 months. As you say, you're doing so well at BFing! A lot of people are finding that letting babies feed themselves helps cope with solids, and lumps in particular. This is generally called baby-led weaning. The link explains more if you're interested in that approach, it's a bit more softly softly as it goes with your baby's own development, what he's ready to pick up, put in his mouth, swallow and digest.

littleducks Sun 02-Nov-08 09:45:44

does he like the idea of eating? does he try and feed himself your food or not want solids at all?

Jacksmama Mon 03-Nov-08 16:14:45

He is somewhat interested in our food - yesterday he grabbed for my pizza crust, but so far has turned up his adorable little nose at the usual first-foods like squash and sweet potatoes... not sure if I should just keep breast-feeding and not bother with the purees or keep trying since he's thriving. I am concerned about the starch/ grain thing... he did okay with a little nibble of pizza crust, no throwing up after (which I was worried about). He had mashed potato a few times and tolerated it fine, but then the last time I fed it to him we had another vomiting night.

whoisdoingthedishes Mon 03-Nov-08 17:42:06

are you making up the baby rice and mash potato with milk or water? could it be the milk what is making him sick?

don't worry much about spoon feeding. some babies don't like it, go for finger foods instead.

littleducks Mon 03-Nov-08 19:09:44

i would offer slices of finger food, banana, pear, brocolli, carrot annd let him feed himself, try and see if he then will be able to eat his full, not overfeed and vomit

kalo12 Mon 03-Nov-08 19:14:09

my 9 mth ds is like this, barely eats any solids. he likes broccoli and pears thats it. i have cut out dairy and gluten from my diet and his general demeanour has improved but he's still a non eater. its a total bloody nightmare isn't it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now