Talk

Advanced search

Christmas dinner

(11 Posts)
chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 18:51:16

Hello. It may sound a bit silly to be thinking about this already. But DD will be 1 at Christmas (born 29th dec). We will be having xmas dinner with family and I will not be cooking. DD is good and will eat anything.

My question is, if the dinner is cooked with seasoning/salt etc added (not loads, just what people do when they are not having to cook for children). Is it ok to give it to her? It would just be for xmas and she usually has a low salt diet.

I just feel that to ask for something to be done seperately is a bit much when there is already so much to worry about on xmas and usually no oven space etc.

What do you all think? oh and also it is really probably more than one meal as we

AnarchyAunt Tue 28-Oct-08 18:52:47

TBH I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you could ask whoever is cooking to avoid adding salt to veg when cooking?

ruddynoraaaaaaggggggghhhhh Tue 28-Oct-08 18:52:50

i'd say fine.

chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 19:02:24

AA - thats wjat I mean, I don't really want to ask because we are going to in laws for the first time for xmas. Also SIL has a younger baby and I know she won't care - her DS eats chocolate every day and they couldn't care less about what is healthy and whats not. He is 7 months hmm

AnarchyAunt Tue 28-Oct-08 19:04:56

Ah.

Well I'd just let it go for one day - maybe avoid gravy (if its instant is v high in salt)if you are worried.

ruddynoraaaaaaggggggghhhhh Tue 28-Oct-08 19:06:02

yes just avoid anything overly salty like the gravy. a bit of meat, some spuds and veg will be fine.

chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 19:07:18

Yer I wouldn't bother with gravy, it probably would be instant.

They are the sort of people if I were to even mention it they would all think I was cookoo to worrry about such a stupid thing sad

Jbck Tue 28-Oct-08 19:35:17

It probably won't be a problem but if you'd really rather not, why don't you take a little bowl of stuff you've prepared the nigh before (if you have time) & it can just be heated. Turkey shouldn't have salt so it'd only need to be veggies & a drop of mash really. If you're thinking of taking other food like breakfast cereal or whatever then it's not much more. YOu seemed to stop mid sentence in your OP grin

chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 19:41:42

Sorry yes the original post was meant to say that it would probably be more than one meal as we are visiting various family on different days etc.

I am not too worried if she has a little salt, it won't be loads. I just really wanted a few opinions in case everybody else thought it was too bad for her.

AnarchyAunt Tue 28-Oct-08 19:52:39

Yes its grim trying to have dietary principles around inlaws IME.

My exMIL made big huge enormous fuss about how she wanted to see dd on her first Christmas day, so we went over there for dinner. She did preformed turkey slices (we are vegetarian, and would boak at that even if I wasn't) and potatoes in goose fat from the ready meals section hmm

We got Linda McCartney sausages in pasta sauce. And tinned marrowfat peas.

chloemegjess Wed 29-Oct-08 13:24:46

Lol. What did you do?

I know she is my baby but I just can't be bothered with the fuss for the odd occasion, and don't want DD to miss her first Christmas dinner.

And also, they say don't add salt before one year, but she will really be one a few days after xmas. Not that I am going to start purposely adding it after 1 year anyway but hey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now