Talk

Advanced search

Do I need follow on milk or is it just a con?

(5 Posts)
pudding25 Mon 27-Oct-08 09:54:15

Also posted on bf/bottle feeding
DD will be 6mths in under 2 wks. Mix fed at the moment and will be gradually weaning her off bf over the next couple of months (not doing it totally until she is on 3 meals a day).

Starting solids at 26 wks. We use Hipp Organic milk. I have just had an email from them which says 'Babies are born with stores of iron that start to run out about now - if you are using baby milk, HiPP Organic Follow on Milk is specially formulated with higher levels of iron and protein to meet the needs of babies from 6 months onwards'.

So, should I get this? I have read some stuff on here about it all being a marketing ploy as they are not allowed to advertise ordinary formula so this is their way of getting round it - but does dd need the extra iron until she is fully established on solids, which could take a while?

edam Mon 27-Oct-08 09:58:12

I wonder, if you look at a pack of normal formula, do they list nutrient levels so you can compare to follow on? There's a theory that the iron stores you are born with do run out at about six months - b/f should replace that with iron from the mother (more easily digested than iron from formula) but if you are stopping b/f it's an interesting question.

Suggest you try www.eatwell.gov.uk, the Food Standards Agency's website - might be some info there.

pudding25 Mon 27-Oct-08 10:07:26

Thanks. Will go to the superarket and compare packets of Hipp! Going to check out that website.

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Mon 27-Oct-08 10:16:50

At 6 months, breastfed babies still have good iron levels - a recent research paper showed that babies do absorb iron and that they replace ferritin stocks - so theres no need to worry about the iron 'stocks running out' as its not true. What can happen is that children drop their milk (bf or ff)intake whilst not eating enough iron rich food, and then become anaemic as toddlers.

Only reason to change to follow on milk is that it can be cheaper and on offer (which is why they introduced it)

edam Mon 27-Oct-08 12:25:28

Thanks CMOT (great name btw) that's why I called it a theory as I had a feeling it had been disproved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now