Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for fruit that is in season just now, suitable for a 10mth old?

(15 Posts)
Caz10 Sun 26-Oct-08 20:20:05

DD has taken to BLW with great gusto, and used to really love fruit, esp peaches, nectarines, strawberries...now they are all either rock hard and horrible or really expensive.

She loved bananas to start with and would easily eat one a day, now won't touch them, apples too hard, pears seem to be getting yuckier as we get into winter.

What are your dcs eating by way of fruit at the mo?!
Thanks!

2cats2many Sun 26-Oct-08 20:26:13

Grapes are still quite reasonable and I picked up a punnett of blueberries for just £1.50 the other day. I think pears are still quite good and there are some delish mandarin/ clementines around at the moment.

Ewe Sun 26-Oct-08 20:27:21

Blackberries but they are v.messy!

pickie Sun 26-Oct-08 20:30:42

Both my DC love satsumas but if I remember correctly was a bit of a messy affair

maybe dried apricots or dates? Apples could be baked stuffed with raisins and cinnamon

MrsJamin Sun 26-Oct-08 20:51:41

oh that's the reason plums and nectarines are all naff now! I am so stupid to not think about seasonality. hmm

DS loves oranges cut into segments, just sucks, bites and leaves the rind for me to pick up off the floor. I'd rather not give too much dried fruit as I have heard their sugar is really bad for teeth and you don't get the water in them either. Figs, elderberries and cranberries are fruits in season according to a quick google search. Will watch thread with interest for any more ideas!

terramum Sun 26-Oct-08 22:13:12

I found apples were ok if you leave them to go a little bit over-ripe (ie when the skin goes a little wrinkly) as then they are softer. Picking a few different varieties also helped...e.g. gala is much much softer than granny smiths

tealady Sun 26-Oct-08 22:20:44

pears in season and nice and sweet (and soft when ripe)

TheDuchessOfNorksDied Sun 26-Oct-08 22:30:08

Late raspberries OK for another month and melon too.

Some pear varieties should be perfect right now, you'll have to have a good grope to see which are just ripe.

What about mango & pineapple? (but I've no idea if there are 'weaning age' restrictions on those).

MrsJamin Mon 27-Oct-08 07:28:10

I bought a mango recently (DS loves it) but it doesn't have a v nice texture/flavour even though it is ripe.

there's no real 'weaning age restrictions' on any fruit beyond 6 months.

lizziemun Mon 27-Oct-08 07:58:40

Becareful with pears they had a very bad effect on dd1 when weaning.

fruitful Mon 27-Oct-08 08:02:23

Ds2 can eat grated apple. And he gets very excited about cucumber for some reason.

lizziemun Mon 27-Oct-08 08:03:18

Sorry dd2 posted to soon.

What about tinned fruit in natural juice rather then syrup.

Do you have a farm shop near you as we have one a local garden centre and they have fresh frozen fruits (IYKWIM) that you can just buy a couple of peices to try.

Caz10 Wed 29-Oct-08 19:43:28

Thank you for all the fab ideas! Hadn't thought of grating the apple, will try that.

Lizziemum what did the pears do?!!

MamaHobgoblin Fri 31-Oct-08 21:07:30

I had this problem too - ds is really missing his strawberries!

But: nice juicy pears at the moment - soft enough to eat.

Buy some hard nectarines and stew them slightly in butter and water (ds has a huge thing for peaches, nectarines, etc) like you can do with apple.

Plums are in season - soft, or stew like nectarines.

Satsumas are going down very well! I thought he needed the membranes taking off first, which is fiddly and irritating, but he's since demonstrated (stolen from me) that he can cope perfectly well with intact segments, thank you very much. I bite the ends off to make it a bit easier.

Mangos are still 'cheap' at the moment, but not as nice as they were. You can buy frozen mango if your dc has a mango addiction like mine...

angel1976 Sat 01-Nov-08 08:14:22

Dragon fruit. They are from Asia (I think!) and funny looking. Here they are. I bought one from Asda. They are kinda like kiwi fruit but not as citrusy and tangy. They are nice and soft when ripe (but firm enough for it not to disintegrate when held). And they will make the LOs poo! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: