Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if there is too much salt in bread? And what is baby led weaning?

(5 Posts)
BelleEpoque Sun 26-Oct-08 16:32:57

I've read that salt shouldn't be given to babies until they are 1. But I've also read that toast, little sarnies and pitta bread are good finger foods. But these contain salt. I looked at my hovis today and it said 1 slice contains 6% of an adult's RDA of salt. Is this too much for a baby? She won't manage a whole slice, but maybe a quarter or half a one she could.

If there is anybody who knows a bit about baby nutrition who could give any advice it would be appreciated.

Also, I keep seeing stuff about BLW on MN. What is that?

BelleEpoque Sun 26-Oct-08 16:37:17

FOrgot to mention, she is nearly 8 months.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 26-Oct-08 16:42:34

Up to the age of 1 a baby can have up to 1g of salt per day.

Milk (breast and formula) contains salt, so they can't have none.

Baby led weaning is about letting the baby feed themselves always, by offering finger food rather than purees. Check out babyledweaning.com/ for much more info.

BelleEpoque Sun 26-Oct-08 17:32:51

Thanks. I tried finger foods today, but she just played with them and threw them on the floor. She does however eat rice cakes np. I've been giving them to her for a couple of weeks now. Is it just she needs to get used it a bit more? Does this BLW only work with an all or nothing approach? I.e, you never spoon feed them anything. (What about yoghurt?)

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 26-Oct-08 18:48:11

It's only blw if it's an all approach, the theory being that their motor skills develop in line with their digestion, but there's nothing wrong with doing a mix of purees and finger foods.

Yogurt can be eaten by dipping fruit in it, or some people load up a spoon and let the baby loose with it. Other blw'ers do make an exception for yogurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now