Talk

Advanced search

blw - help me get carrot cooked so the poor little thing can actually eat it!

(8 Posts)
deaconblue Fri 24-Oct-08 13:22:13

Roasted carrot was good, she nagged on it and bits came away. But I'm not roasting half a carrot for 40 mins when there's nothing else in the oven. So yesterday I steamed carrot "chips" (about the size of adult finger) for 4 mins in microwave steamer. She sucked it, couldn't getanything off. So I put it back in for another 2 mins Still too blardy hard. By this point we are all sick of carrots and so ditched it and she had rice cake for dinner.
I do know she is meant to just have a bit of whatever the rest of us are eating but ds and I had sausage, mash and peas (will plan better for her too next week)and obviously she couldn't have sausage, peas too small for 6 months to pick up.

MrsJamin Fri 24-Oct-08 14:16:45

I totally understand your dilemma. When DS was 6 months I'd do a job lot of roasted veg (carrot, butternut squash, courgette, sweet potato) while I was cooking other things as I want to minimise the extra amount of energy it takes to make him meals (credit crunch and all that!). Then they can be reheated for a few days after that if you keep them in the fridge. If you're having mash you could take a potato out before you mash it to give to her? A little bit of sausage is fine as long as they are decent ones and you haven't given too much else in the day that has salt in. Remember too that you don't always have to cook - philly on toast is brilliant, as it grated cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, and all different soft fruits.

cmotdibbler Fri 24-Oct-08 14:53:24

I'd have given her sausage and mash - she can stick her hands in the mash and then suck it off, and sausage is no problem. And chucking some carrots into boil with the peas would have been fine too.

deaconblue Fri 24-Oct-08 16:32:07

I think I need to start thinking out of the box a bit. I guess the point is that she has what we are having and the things that aren't suitable she probably won't manage to eat anyway. will read aitch's blog so more this weekend too. Philli on rice cakes and toast very popular so far

scorpio1 Fri 24-Oct-08 16:33:25

I would have given her sausage and mash, maybe mashed the peas up in the mash

scorpio1 Fri 24-Oct-08 16:33:46

my dd loves sausages! Good ones though.

deaconblue Fri 24-Oct-08 16:35:00

darling we always have free range good ones

MrsJamin Fri 24-Oct-08 19:25:20

a tip for mash from tonight is that day-old mash is far easier to eat than just-made mash! DS wolfed down mash from our tea last night :D

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: