Talk

Advanced search

First tastes

(5 Posts)
MarmMummy Thu 23-Oct-08 21:27:57

OK. I know this probably sounds really slack, but I was hoping to feed my DD from jars for the first couple of weeks as

1. I am potty training my DS at the mo.....
2. I will cook for her when I know she is sure to eat enough of it to warrant the time it takes!!!

Anyway, when I went shopping a lot of the baby food is a combination of two or more fruits/vegetables, and I remember introducing one at a time (obviously loving hand prepared for PFB grin..... does this matter? Or do single 'foods' exist?

TIA

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Thu 23-Oct-08 21:32:48

I was also not so good at preparing everything for dd2.

Haven't found any single foods either.

There are things to do to make it easier -
quarter an apple and microwave for 5 mins. It comes out volcanic- then scrape off skin - ta da =apple puree.

Use tinned pears so you don't have to peel them.

Make sweet pot / pot jackets then scrape insides out and mash. Roast veges then mash.

Of course the trend on mn at the moment is baby led weaning in which case do nothing and let them eat off your plate. (I will admit to not having appropriate stuff on my plate but perhaps it would be a good incentive to change that...)

Neenztwinz Fri 24-Oct-08 21:09:29

You can give ripe banana, ripe pears, avocado and papaya raw.

It only takes two mins to put some pear in a saucepan with some water and boil it for a bit then mash it. Maybe then add baby rice?

I think Asda do some single purees that are pure fruit/veg (not used them myself tho).

How old is she? You could try blw, just put her in her highchair and let her eat chunks of stuff.

MarmMummy Fri 24-Oct-08 21:17:41

Thanks, some fab ideas. Have actually just knocked up some pear, apple and courgette whilst babes in bed. Wasn't quite as time consuming as I remembered ..... probably because I didn't bother sterilising everything in the room to within an inch of its life!

She will be 6 months this time next week. I have given her some baby rice for the last 4 days, which she has eaten a bit of, but without any real enthusiasm.

If she's anything like her mother she's probably holding out for chocolate grin!

Neenztwinz Fri 24-Oct-08 21:24:05

I have been surprised too how quickly you can put stuff together. My freezer is full of stuff!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: