loader

Talk

Advanced search

when can my baby have...

(14 Posts)
umbungo Thu 23-Oct-08 12:43:20

tinned tuna
tinned salmon (how should i give this?)
mayonaise (its the only thing i used in tuna)
egg
citrus fruit
wholemeal bread

TIA

Seona1973 Thu 23-Oct-08 12:58:23

from 6 months for all of them if there are no allergies. Re: wholemeal bread - it is advised not to give a fully wholemeal diet till the age of 5 so a mix of white and wholemeal bread, pasta, rice is advised.

pudding25 Thu 23-Oct-08 13:07:25

Also, I read that you should give tuna in oil/water as tuna in brine is too salty.

umbungo Sun 26-Oct-08 11:22:48

hi, thanks for the responses.

so would 50/50 or best of both be ok for LO?

TheGabster Sun 26-Oct-08 12:05:37

I just this week tried my LO on tuna. Made a cheese sauce a la the lovely Anabelle and mixed in some tuna flakes and some brocolli. DS seemed to love it, but he is always a hungry baby and this actually satisfied him so it must be v. filling for them so be carefull.

Have stayed off wholemeal bread for now as keep reading warnings about too much fibre in their diet, but have given egg a few times now. I have done: scramled egg with toast squares (definite finger food),
pancakes (in strips - stuffs them in) and
omlette/frittata thing with grated vege or cheese and tomatoe (again - finger food).

umbungo Mon 27-Oct-08 12:22:38

tried scrambled egg on the weekend. ds didn't like it.

didn't think of pancakes. will have try do that next!

any advise on mayo? or what to mix with salmon or tuna for a sandwich?

ds is 8m.

nicky111 Mon 27-Oct-08 12:30:10

cream cheese with tuna or salmon - also good on pasta

TheGabster Mon 27-Oct-08 12:41:10

My DS is 8.5mo but I think we presented scrambled eggs a few times before he took to it (just had it off my plate to start with, and I put salt on afterwards). If you are keen for him to have it, then re-present later.

If you have the anabelle Karmel books (don't mean to rave) there is a recipe for yoghurt pancakes which DS devoured yesterday (the pancakes, not the recipe!).

Didn't want to give my DS mayo yet as raw eggs risky, and shop bought stuff full of crap. Mum keeps raving about tinned pilchards/salmon in tomato sauce in a sandwich/on toast? She also raves about mash potatoe with a raw egg, but apparently she used to sneek raw eggs into everything we ate this way, bless (?!).

You could just steam some salmon and give it to him. Is he OK with finger food? Oooh, this sounds good actually. Might try it myself tomorrow!

Good luck. Have fun grin

umbungo Tue 28-Oct-08 12:29:19

ah! of course! cream cheese. and tomato sauce!!

why couldn't i think of that!

yep he's fine with finger food. actually ready brek, is the only thing he will eat thats not finger food.

yoghurt pancakes sound good! i'll see if i can find a recipe online. or if you could post AK (not sure what the rules are about that) that would be great.

thanks again!

chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 18:59:50

I would love to make those yogurt pancakes if anybody has the recipe?

Eggs, make sure they are cooked well obviously. So no runny egg. My mum keeps telling me to give DD a runny egg and soldiers but I am not risking it.. Apparently we all ate loads of it when we were babies

TheGabster Tue 28-Oct-08 19:55:56

not sure on the rules but can't remember where I got this recipe from either, I know it off by heart wink:

150ml milk
150ml yoghurt
150g SR flour
1 egg
pinch of salt OR maple syrup (we used later).

Mix it all well (use wizzy machine) and dolop a tblspoon full into non-stick frying plan (with little oil in bottom). Should be able to get three in a small egg pan. Flip - but be warned they cook quick.

They are quite thick and a good size but I did cut them up a bit and shoved some fruit puree on for DS (we had maple syrup on ours - yum scrum).

Chloe - my mum used to mix a raw egg in my milkshakes - from 6m to 16yrs!!! hmm But she also confees she gave my sister tea in her bottle during the day from 7m (?!)

chloemegjess Tue 28-Oct-08 20:29:49

Thanks for the receipe - Do you have to eat them all there and then or can you use them the next day?

Was it normal tea? I know a lot of mums who give herbal tea or red bush tea now. In fact, hipp organic do a fennel tea for babies. Normal tea is a no though.

whoisdoingthedishes Tue 28-Oct-08 21:11:22

Thank God I'm not the only one who was fed raw eggs during childhood! blush My DH can't believe that and thinks my family are nutters.

I would skip the mayo at least until they are one year. The egg in the bought mayonaise is pasteurised so risk is low, but as well it has other added ingredients.

chloemegjess Wed 29-Oct-08 14:50:16

I think a lot of our parents did some nutty things in those days. God knows what our grandparents did! LOL.

I agree with leaving the mayo. Or at least try and give a tiny amount. DD is 10 months and hasn't had it yet. I wouldn't panic if somebody gave it to her but it isn't an ideal food really.

DH and I were talking the other day and I admitted I had never even tried mayo till about 3 years ago! Now I eat loads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now