Talk

Advanced search

Waiting until 6 months...confusing HV

(5 Posts)
whyker Tue 21-Oct-08 15:11:07

DD is 20 wks and HV advised weaning in 4 wks due to slow weight gain (gaining length rapidly though - apparently a trend in BF babies...) but in same sentence HV said introducing solids is only for experimentation with tastes, textures etc and not for calories. So if this is the case why not wait until 6 months?

Any advise please...I am confused!

HV said that if weight levelled out and there was not much of a gain in next 4 weeks then alarm bells would be ringing. But DD is contented, sleeps through, feeds well (BF) and is very alert.

andiem Tue 21-Oct-08 15:15:06

aaaagh it is normal for bf babies to slow down their weight gain at this age
and what diffrence will 2 weeks make ie 24 weeks to 26 weeks

if you want to wait till 6 months I would smile

MamaHobgoblin Tue 21-Oct-08 17:28:01

shock Do they ever stop to listen to what comes out?? It sounds as if she has read some recent guidelines, but they're all garbled up with what she's been telling parents for ages without checking current research...

I had similarly garbled advice from my HV and just ignored it, because I could tell she was a loon! (I was also told it might be a good thing to start at 23 wks due to a small weight blip.) It's really not going to make any difference to your baby's weight in the long term if you wait until about 26 weeks.

pudding25 Tue 21-Oct-08 17:32:17

I got the same -but at 17 wks! Ignored her. DD is nearly 24wks, sleeps through the night (unless she is unwell) and happy as anything. I will start weaning in a couple of weeks.

Neenztwinz Tue 21-Oct-08 21:50:19

My DTs have been gaining hardly any weight since 16 weeks old (now 24 weeks). But this is normal. As long as your LO is not losing weight and is happy and contented, don;t worry... don't introduce solids if your baby is happy with just milk!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: