Talk

Advanced search

Want to introduce finger foods and BLW - WHAT ARE YOUR DCS FAVS?

(13 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 21-Oct-08 11:04:21

DD is 7 months and has 'tried' bread, toast, cucumber, carrot, rusk.

She has no teeth and no signs as yet - stupid question does this matter?

DH was horrifed at sight of DD pushing a piece of bread into her mouth and then struggling to get it out again!

What foods ahve you found work well.

She's had 1 or 2 tries of the above foods and to be honest don't think she has actually 'ate' any of it yet, should I ahve expected her too?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

PS was breast now on bottle except for last feed of the day if that makes any differnce.

scorpio1 Tue 21-Oct-08 11:06:07

Toast
green beans
carrot sticks
mango
pear
rice cakes - spread with marmite or hummus
banana
big chip shape bits of cheese
apple slices

scorpio1 Tue 21-Oct-08 11:09:04

d has no teeth btw

Food is fun, till they're one!

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 21-Oct-08 11:12:44

Thanks scorpio1 Will get into action and ensure I ahve plenty in for her to have a go with.

phdlife Tue 21-Oct-08 11:13:29

ds was - and remains - a fiend for banana
and cooked noodles or pasta

it really is about getting them used to having food in their mouths - tastes, textures etc. they will still get most of their nutrition from milk until they are 1.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 21-Oct-08 11:16:51

thanks tat reminds me have some baby pasta in the cupboard think today is the day to try it - especially as I don't need to go to the shops for that one!

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 26-Oct-08 15:42:52

Thanks for all your ideas she has now tried scrambled eggs and pasta and I ahve a mango for tomorrow!

Bloodystumperlicious Sun 26-Oct-08 16:20:00

You might find normal pasta is easier to hold than baby pasta.

You just have to let them get on with it. DD would gag on something till she was red in the face then nonchalantly shove it back in her mouth again grin

Some more ideas

Eggy bread
Homous sarnies
Toast
Oatcakes
Rice cakes
Sticks of cheese
Satsumas
Banana
Bits of roast chicken
Tomato segments
Noodles/spaghetti

Rusks have quite a lot of sugar in them. Have you tried the Organix range?

My ds's favourites were

peeled pear
steamed peeled apple wedges
roasted veg sticks
steamed french beans
breadsticks
banana
garlic bread
philedelphia on toast
eggy bread
cheese topped/pizza style bagels
cheese in any form and any strength
pasta tubes

meant to add... I still worry about giving ds raw apple now and he's 14m with seven teeth, so only my two penneth but I wouldn't give it to a 7 month old. I don't give him things he'd need grinding teeth for like large pieces of cooked mushroom, raw celery, lettuce, raw carrot etc.

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 26-Oct-08 17:03:21

Thanks guys that's given me loads more ideas - just need to get head around he eating just about anything suppose.

Re rusks - I know as much sugar as a doughnut, was only allowed as mum had bought some as soon as she found out i was pg and did make her wait till DD was 6.5 months before she had half of one wink

Bumperlicious Sun 26-Oct-08 17:22:29

Oh I know, my mum was desperate to give DD rusks! And now she loves giving her chocolate buttons. I try and negotiate chocolate raisins as a semi healthy option smile

Bumperlicious Sun 26-Oct-08 17:25:44

Ooh, pear, yes, DD would devour pears. They are just annoying as they have a ripeness window of about 7 minutes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now