Talk

Advanced search

Least messy finger foods?

(18 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Tue 21-Oct-08 09:38:32

DS (6.5mo) and I are off to lunch at a friend's house on Thursday. He feeds himself at lunch and it is usually very messy as he loves nothing better than smearing his food on his high chair tray and then licking it off hmm Obviously I'd like him to demonstrate slightly better table manners than that on Thursday as friend's baby is puree-fed and not very messy at all...

Fruit is out as he really mushes that in his hand and I would be really worried about where that ended up. Anything with a sauce would be a disaster as he gets too excited and slaps it with his hands causing the room to look like a Jackson Pollock in progress.

I'm looking for something that stays in fairly reasonable chunks and is fairly innocuous stain wise so I can pick it up and tidy up easily, and not worry about it staining my friend's table/floor.

Any suggestions?

NBheebieGeebies Tue 21-Oct-08 09:40:16

Toast, breadsticks, precooked veg sticks like carrot, brocoli. Mango, banana?

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 09:41:05

steamed carrot, cucumber, cheese, fairly plain pasta, toast and hummous etc. if it's too stressful i'd grab a spoon. grin

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 09:41:34

no broccoli!!!!!! lololol

MrsBadger Tue 21-Oct-08 09:41:42

our lowest-mess options are pasta with a light dab of pesto (oily marks only wink), or toast that's been spread with hummus while still hot so it soaks right in and can't be wiped off.
Cheese is ok if you don't have one who chews then spits out.
Mini shredded wheat are surprisingly low mess but I think that's because dd loves them so much she can't bear to waste any...

MrsBadger Tue 21-Oct-08 09:42:49

oh NOT banana

the mess when they grab a bit and squeeze is awful

and it stains like buggery

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 09:50:56

and no pear either, it stains black for some reason.

witchandchips Tue 21-Oct-08 09:51:06

The ability of a 6 month old to make a mess even with the driest finger food is unbelievable. I honestly wouldn't bother; and in the end this is the polite thing to do. Can you imagine how your friend would feel if your lo was self feeding AND not making a mess while hers had to be spoon fed. This way you she can think "if i was prepared to put up with such a mess, my child could do it too"

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 09:53:29

i disagree. your priend would have to be incredibly prissy to expect you to change your methods in order to keep herr house in pristine conditions.

witchandchips Tue 21-Oct-08 09:57:34

was probably badly phrased, meant don't bother on keeping it tidy rather than to start to give purees

giving purees to a blw baby is counterproductive anyway as you know

<<witch remembers when mil tried to feed ds
to "stop all this mess"; it look all of 10 seconds for the bowl to be grabbed and another 2 for the sloppy mess to end up on the floor>>

HolidaysQueen Tue 21-Oct-08 10:06:16

My friend is a fairly new friend and while I know she isn't worried about mess too much (she has her own 6mo), I want to minimise any likelihood of us ruining her house. If it was my best friend I would be in there with the meatballs and tomato sauce, no problem wink

Spoons are out as he is actually far messier because he won't not grab the spoon and then ends up smearing it and flicking it everywhere. Hence it needs to be finger foods for least mess, but careful selection needed.

Ok, no pear and banana (shame - he loves them but he is messy with them). I've suddenly thought of cauli which he hasn't had for a while but is at least white - any horror stories with that? - then your suggestions of toast with hummus and cheese.

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 10:09:59

gotcha, soz withcy.

cucumber, pasta, don't forget

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 21-Oct-08 10:18:09

Make sweetcorn fritters and cut them into fingers. They are fine to do in advance and have cold.

HolidaysQueen Tue 21-Oct-08 10:25:51

oooh they sound great - been wondering how to get sweetcorn into DS as he had it once as a puree and loved it but kernels all a bit tiny for him and his fists at the moment

NBheebieGeebies Tue 21-Oct-08 11:15:23

I know banana and brocoli is messy. I have 2 BLW's!!!
I don't think theres anything you can give that isnt messy. It always ends up everywhere.

babyOcho Tue 21-Oct-08 13:29:48

DD had lunch with her other 'buddies' a few weeks back - she was the only BLW baby. I was a bit worried as well, but the mum that was hosting was quite excited to see her in action and encouraged it!

I took cheese and cucumber sticks and also pasta twirls. I was really brave and took mango as well (it needed to be eaten). Apart from the mango, the rest of it was all quite ok. I think that DD was showing off a bit and was amazingly tidier than usual!

Tommy Tue 21-Oct-08 13:33:45

DS3 was always very clean with quiche - it was his favourite - he wouldn't let any fall on the floor. grin

Wouldn't worry about it too much though. When DS3 was about 7m he ad to go into hospital and the food was very un-BLW-friendly - you should have seen the mess he made with the egg salad hmm grin

CharleeInChains Tue 21-Oct-08 13:36:25

My DS is 2 and is still the messiest thing on 2 legs.

He has daily a mixture of finger foods for lunch, usually a combo of.

Cubes of Cheese
Carrot Stick (blanched for a couple of mins so there not to hard)
Cucumber
Peppers
Crackers
Bread/toast
Hula Hoops
Grapes
Raisins
Pasta
Home made fishfinger or chicken nugget chunks.
A small cake/biscuit

But like everyone says they will make mess with everything and anything and im sure your friend will understand any mess. Have a nice time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now