Talk

Advanced search

Fruit juices for babies eg Hipp Organic apple juice etc - when/why/how?

(10 Posts)
Caz10 Sat 18-Oct-08 20:54:59

DD is 10mths and has only ever had breastmilk, formula and water to drink - am I missing out on something here?! Keep seeing all these juices in the supermarket but have never tried them - are they necessary/desirable or just a gimmick? Or do they count as a portion of fruit?

Thanks!

nickytwoooohtimes Sat 18-Oct-08 20:59:32

They are totally unnecessary.
if you want to give her fruit juice at some point then a little spot of pure fruit juice in the water is fine.

AnarchyAunt Sat 18-Oct-08 21:01:40

Gimmick.

DD didn't have juice til she was over 2 and then didn't like it much unless heavily diluted ("too strong").

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 18-Oct-08 21:03:12

I just ave my DS water and mik at that age. He only strated havingsome limited amounts of juice when he started going to parties at about 3 -4 .
He is 7 now and still asks for water at home, though he is allwoed some apple juice at tea time.
Water and milk is bet for them, and best for their teeth.

littleducks Sat 18-Oct-08 21:03:57

dont give juice till you cant avoid it, keep up with milk and water and your dentist will be extra nice to you!

my toddler occassionally has juice, but normal juice now not baby juice

cmotdibbler Sat 18-Oct-08 21:06:58

Its a gimmick and unnecessary. DS has the odd smoothie or juice esp when we are out and about, but thats because he has whatever I have (ie I don't get to drink coke when he's with me)- but he's 2.6

PoppyCoc Sat 18-Oct-08 21:15:07

dd is nearly a year and she only has milk and water. Will try to keep it like that for as long as possible

lilymolly Sat 18-Oct-08 21:19:28

Milk or water only

Juice avoidable totally until they are old enough to suss out!!

Shitemum Sat 18-Oct-08 21:20:51

What everyone else said!

Caz10 Sun 19-Oct-08 14:11:58

Glad to hear it! That was my instinct but then I started to doubt myself - the marketing gets to you doesn't it?! grin. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now