Talk

Advanced search

Does the whole 'getting all the vits they need from milk until one yr old' work with ff?

(9 Posts)
lucysnowe Sat 18-Oct-08 19:35:24

Sorry for the loooong title! DD has been ff since three months. Could formula (Aptimel) sustain her up till one year if needs be or should I 'rush' her a bit more wrt weaning than a BF baby?

Thanks!

pudding25 Sat 18-Oct-08 20:28:24

As far as I am aware, formula has vitamins and iron added to it so I would not worry too much if your dd is not eating tons.

Pheebe Sun 19-Oct-08 09:00:49

were you planning to wait til she's one to wean her? latest guidelines are to staart around 6 months. if you wait much longer it can be difficult to get them to accept solids (sorry if I;ve miunderstood)

formula is fine nutritionally as a bm replacement btw

theSuburbanDryad Sun 19-Oct-08 09:24:19

Are you planning to do BLW? AFAIK ff babies still get all the nutrients they need from formula milk so I wouldn't worry if she isn't eating too many solids. If she needs more she will eat more - maybe drop a bottle, or drop the amount to encourage her to eat more? Sorry, but clueless on this - it's Aitch you need, really! smile

SharpMolarBear Sun 19-Oct-08 09:25:04

afaik yes, it applies

fizzpops Sun 19-Oct-08 10:52:57

AK says (and I have often wondered about this):

"If your baby drinks less than 500ml (17 fl oz) of formula a day or is breastfed beyond six months, she will need supplementary vitamins A, C, and D up until at least one year. These vitamins are in formula milk, but are lower in breast milk."

I think she is suggesting foods rich in these rather than as a vitamin supplement but it did seem strange that breast milk should not continue to evolve to supply a baby's needs in the same way it does from birth through the first 6 months.

I am FF by the way so haven't looked into it in too much depth - just skim read and was surprised.

lucysnowe Sun 19-Oct-08 19:18:31

Ooh thank you for replies and thanks for the quote fizzpops! DD is getting around 7 oz 5 times a day so that's prob ok then. I think opinion varies on the iron in bm question doesn't it?

Pheebe I have started weaning and am mostly doing BLW but had a small panic after a day of DD playing racing cars with her broccoli wink and wanted to make sure. I know BLW philosophically speaking follows on from bfing but it's nice to know that you can do it after ffing as well!

SharpMolarBear Sun 19-Oct-08 21:21:58

Have you seen Aitch's blog SHe did BLW with her older DD after (or as well as) ff, and there's quite a bit about it on there

lucysnowe Mon 20-Oct-08 13:01:36

Oh I didn't know Aitch ffed - will have another look, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now