Talk

Advanced search

If you were given 'additives' in your bottle/fed condensed milk/etc ...

(15 Posts)
TheDuchessOfCorpseBride Thu 16-Oct-08 21:20:49

were you a lardy-arsed baby and do you find it hard to keep your adult weight under control?

Another thread has reminded me that I was fed all sorts of fattening crap as a baby, was farking enormous by 6mths, and can only stay in shape if I eat very sensibly and exercise for a couple of hours everyday.

I vaguely recall seeing research that suggested that the fat cells you get as a baby are forever waiting to be filled.

Is is a post-war thing d'you think that super fat babies were to be admired?

snigger Thu 16-Oct-08 21:37:13

DH was fed Milupa in his bottle as a weeks old baby and is a podger now - mind you, even at three weeks he'd probably have had a go at a steak, according to MIL.

I don't think it was 'fat is lovable' - MIL admits she did it to make him sleep. shock

hanaflower Thu 16-Oct-08 21:38:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 16-Oct-08 21:45:49

I was weaned at about 2 months, and also the teat of the bottle was snipped off and weetabix or horlicks added to the milk. By all accounts I was an utter screamer and Iam sure they just wanted to shut me up.

In pictures of me as a baby I am a round, fat, hairless blob (much mirth when the baby photos were shown to boyfriends when I was older!)

Am 30 now, and am 6 foot and 9.5 stone, so am underweight if anything. However, naturally I am a complete pig and could eat for England if left to my own devices, only at this weight because I (luckily) manage to stop myself from eating a loaf of bread at a time. As a teenager this was not the case, and I binge ate a lot, then fasted for days on end as a way of managing the weight.

I do think that perhaps the over feeding as a baby has contributed to the fact that I am a glutton; I never feel full, and could eat most people under the table.

TheDuchessOfCorpseBride Thu 16-Oct-08 21:46:26

I thought it was skin cells that took 7 years? Perhaps it's both. Or neither. <realises that it's been over 25 years since Biology O Level>

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 16-Oct-08 21:51:15

I was fed on condensed milk etc. But as it was early 60's the remainder of my diet was of the meat & two veg type, no convenience food and we got masses of exercise as soon as we could walk (no car) so it probably balanced out.

TheDuchessOfCorpseBride Thu 16-Oct-08 22:13:56

Is this the least volatile weaning thread ever?

It's not very conclusive either. grin

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 16-Oct-08 22:24:17

Ooo - I do have very dodgy bowels grin And a liking for whisky which was the 60's version of teething gel (well in our house anyway).

TheDuchessOfCorpseBride Thu 16-Oct-08 22:36:35

Some octogenarian friends of ours swear by sugar cubes soaked in brandy for any and all infant ailments. I haven't let 'em babysit yet!

BouncingTurtleSkulls Fri 17-Oct-08 17:25:27

I was weaned at 12 weeks... was given Farley´s rusks (mmmm Farley´s rusks!) and I have weight problems due to being a greedy fucker, I have problems controlling my appetite. I also have IBS as well (though it has been much better over the last few years due to a concerted effort to eat more fibre.)

BouncingTurtleSkulls Fri 17-Oct-08 17:25:30

I was weaned at 12 weeks... was given Farley´s rusks (mmmm Farley´s rusks!) and I have weight problems due to being a greedy fucker, I have problems controlling my appetite. I also have IBS as well (though it has been much better over the last few years due to a concerted effort to eat more fibre.)

pinata Fri 17-Oct-08 19:33:49

well, i was FF in the late 70s but my mum became veggie at the same time so when weaning was given all sorts of (very forward thinking for the time) wholefoods, organc veg and zero crap

so i was very skinny, but also used to go round friends' houses waiting desperately for the biscuit tin to appear

i am still fairly skinny - i just can't be bothered haven't got the time to exercise

Pruners Fri 17-Oct-08 19:48:42

Message withdrawn

pinata Fri 17-Oct-08 20:19:29

forgot to add - i was a huuuuuuuge baby and regularly given baby rice in my bottle. weaned at an unspecified time, that seems to get later every time i ask my mum, who has watched me wean dd at 6 months. i think it was around 3 months

nickytwoooohtimes Fri 17-Oct-08 20:23:11

I was also a 'bonnie' baby, given Farex in my bottle from an early age. I have no health probs or weight probs or allergies, btu I still wouldn't do it myself given what we know now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now