Talk

Advanced search

Baby 25 weeks old........appetite decreasing....

(4 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Wed 15-Oct-08 18:18:00

DS is 25 weeks now so I had planned to start weaning him in the next couple of weeks.

However, his appetite seems to have decreased recently. He was mix fed for the first 4 months, and since then has been having five 7oz bottles of Cow & Gate each day. Recently he's been leaving 1 or 2 ounces most feeds.

I was under the impression that babies appetites increased as they prepared for solids. Also I've been told they start waking hungry in the night (he still sleeps through). He can sort of sit up (surrounded by cushions).

Is he nearly ready to wean, or do I wait for his appetite to increase? Or is he just bored of milk (formula does taste pretty horrible IMO hmm)?

CuppaTeaJanice Wed 15-Oct-08 18:40:19

Anybody?

pudding25 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:43:47

Sounds like dd. She is 22.5 wks. She is mixed fed and has started to eat less (but has had a couple of off nights). I thought she may have a sore tummy.

HolidaysQueen Thu 16-Oct-08 10:20:24

Some babies wake, some don't so I would say that isn't a reliable guide to readiness.

Could your DS be teething? That can affect their appetite.

I'd say, even if you think you want to do purees rather than BLW, then the best thing to do might be to start off by offering finger foods (rice cakes, broccoli, banana). That will give you a better idea about whether he is interested in food or not than purees would because he can be more passive about accepting those whereas he'll need to feed himself with finger foods. Even if you do purees, NHS guidelines suggest finger foods from the start as well so you wouldn't be doing anything different to how you might anyway if you did puree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now