Talk

Advanced search

Weight Gain slowing -not weaned yet

(7 Posts)
pudding25 Tue 14-Oct-08 20:15:02

DD is 5mths, 3 days old. She is mixed fed and not weaned onto food yet. She has never been a big eater but she puts on 4oz every wk.
She started on 50th percentile, has moved down to 25th percentile and when she was weighed yesterday, had only put on 5oz over 2wks, and dropped below 25th percentile.

She is on 91st percentile for height.

Could her weight be slowing down as she is in the run up to being weaned? She has 4 BF per day (around 10-15 mins each) and 2 bottle feeds (anything between 120-180ml).

MrsJamin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:03:08

milk has more calories than solids. What are you expecting weaning to do? Weaning should be at 6 months, regardless of weight. I found my DS stopped gaining weight so much while weaning.

pudding25 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:23:02

I think you have misinterpreted by post. I am well aware of the fact that milk has more calories than solids. I also have no intention of weaning until 6 mths.

My concern is over her slow weight gain and I was curious as to whether slow weight gain happened before a child was fully weaned onto 3 meals a day plus milk.

pudding25 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:23:03

I think you have misinterpreted by post. I am well aware of the fact that milk has more calories than solids. I also have no intention of weaning until 6 mths.

My concern is over her slow weight gain and I was curious as to whether slow weight gain happened before a child was fully weaned onto 3 meals a day plus milk.

pudding25 Wed 15-Oct-08 08:53:00

And also if her weight gain might go up once she is fully weaned.

Bump

Brangelina Wed 15-Oct-08 09:13:59

With DD there was a definite weight gain slow-down leading up to the 6mths (not that she ever gained much anyway), averaging at around 80g. a week. After weaning the weight gain slowed even further and remained static for about a month, despite her eating twice the amounts of her contemporaries and me adding extra olive oil to her foods.

This continued until she got to about 9-10mths and suddenly doubled her appetite. 9mths also coincided with when I could introduce more calorific foods like ground nuts, nut butters etc. so maybe that helped.

I was not the only one to experience this, a few others in my ante-natal group had similar experiences. Oddly enough (or maybe not), it was the babies who preferred milk to solids that gained better through the initial weaning period.

pudding25 Wed 15-Oct-08 12:35:12

Thanks Brangelina. Glad to hear that. DD is just rarely all that hungry (unlike her mother!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: