Talk

Advanced search

I've started weaning at 6mths - advice on times/quantities etc

(9 Posts)
Sheen4272 Tue 14-Oct-08 19:26:22

I've started DD on pureed carrot and pureed carrot with courgette. I started on Saturday so she is now on day 4. I give her 4 tablespoons about 1pm after a breast feed and she gobbles the lot. What comes next? Is it breakfast (cereal) and then an evening meal? When should I start these?

Sheen4272 Tue 14-Oct-08 19:27:29

Forgot to say, she is just about 6mths old now.

MrsJamin Tue 14-Oct-08 19:33:46

If you've waited until 6 months I would try finger food at any point in the day and see how she gets on - it's amazing what they can do from an early age. I've done what quite a few MNers have done - baby-led weaning where babies just feed themselves normal food rather than puree. I'd definitely recommend it.

Sheen4272 Tue 14-Oct-08 19:44:54

does she have to be sat up for BLW? She's not quite ready for a high chair yet.

babyOcho Tue 14-Oct-08 20:17:36

She needs to be able to sit up well supported.

We waited for 6 months an went straight into BLW. I would recommend it as well. Self feeding is messy, but much easier.

fourlittlefeet Tue 14-Oct-08 20:23:03

yep, i'd try some rice cakes, bits of toast, fresh ripe pear (peeled), baked butternut squash pieces, avocado...

I gave DD real porridge with grated apple in it when I started the breakfasts. Just did tastes of food in between milk feeds (largely when I was eating myself) rather than very set meal times.

fourlittlefeet Tue 14-Oct-08 20:25:22

oh, and read up on the gag reflex so you can tell the difference between gagging (where if a lump gets stuck they kind of chchchchhch it up) and choking. Its important not to pat them on the back or panic if they gag; they usually deal with it fine and if you hit them you can get stuff going the wrong way.

Banana is good too. Avoid grapes or small round foods at the beginning, and even when you do feed them, cut them in half.

madmouse Tue 14-Oct-08 21:56:13

she is eating quite a lot, she is obviously ready for solids.
sounds like she is ready for breakfast. my ds likes readibrek and weetabix with whole cows milk and fruit puree, but you may want to start with just some cereals and milk. if she is six months you can use cows milk or ebm/ff whatever you prefer.

Sheen4272 Wed 15-Oct-08 14:00:24

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now