Talk

Advanced search

Pasta for a 6.5 month old? Isn't that too early?

(16 Posts)
forevared Tue 14-Oct-08 13:23:35

I'm weaning ds2 at the moment and all is going well. Done the first tastes and on 2 meals a day. Using Annabel Karmel and Truly scrumptious books for ideas. Both suggest giving pasta during this stage! Isn't this too young?

I know you're meant to be able to introduce wheat and dairy at this stage, and to make the purees with a bit more texture but even tiny pasta shapes seems a bit much to me.

jimmyjammys Tue 14-Oct-08 13:42:55

DS really loved the little pasta stars from that age - just boil them up a bit longer if you are worried so they are really soft. He really enjoyed them with a pureed vegetable sauce. He liked the heinz stars but he hated the Annabel Karmel ones - i think they are made of rice - don't have gluten or wheat in them. You can just break up pieces of normal pasta as well which is what i do now.

mabanana Tue 14-Oct-08 13:46:32

Gosh no, it's fine. Give him either mashed up pasta or just well cooked whole penne to pick up with his fingers and eat by himself. Don't bother with purees - blooming Anabel Karmel!

forevared Tue 14-Oct-08 14:36:52

Thanks, I'm nervous about giving finger foods because he seems so young, but I made a huge mistake with DS1 and gave purees for too long. I now have a really fussy eater, and don't want the same thing to happen.

nappyaddict Tue 14-Oct-08 14:37:59

gosh no, i was giving ds whole bits of penne at this age.

SazzlesA Tue 14-Oct-08 14:39:55

Message withdrawn

MrsJamin Tue 14-Oct-08 15:45:37

my DS eats fusilli better as it seems to break up more easily, plus it holds more sauce.

babyOcho Tue 14-Oct-08 22:32:30

I agree with MrsJ, fusilli is better. I gave DD tubes the other day and she couldnt bite bits off from it and got frustrated.

I havent tried spaghetti yet, but she can eat egg noodles amazingly well, so I am sure that she can.

DD is 7 months.

MovinMovinMovin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:11

DD ate adult sized peices of fussili from when she was about 6 months. She stuffed them, in her mouth, and I was expecting her to suck and chew and squish etc etc, but she used to mostly swal;low them whole with no problem at all. I'm surprised she wasn't doing spiral shaped poos tbh!

MovinMovinMovin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:43

by adult sized pieces, #I mean normal big pieces, not mashed or cut

nappyaddict Tue 14-Oct-08 23:43:14

ds still swallows spgahetti shapes whole i'm sure. he shovels it in much too fast to be chewing and swallowing!!

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 14-Oct-08 23:56:12

Weaning is nothing to do with me nowdays but lol at spiral poos.

As you were.

solo Tue 14-Oct-08 23:59:26

Pasta is great at that age. They can pick it up and it's easy to chew and swallow.

backonthedecaff Wed 15-Oct-08 00:03:04

Not just mine then!!DD2 swallowed penne whole from 6.5 months - never choked - and still does at 2.9yrs. I had thought she was alone in this; glad to hear it's not so.

sannie Wed 15-Oct-08 10:11:07

also agree that fusilli is better...have tried bows and also penne with ds2 9 months and fusilli is the only one he attempted to eat (and did very well) - the other shapes he just looked at and then started to cry

forevared Thu 16-Oct-08 11:10:25

Thankyou everyone, so grateful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: