Talk

Advanced search

Pasta for a 6.5 month old? Isn't that too early?

(16 Posts)
forevared Tue 14-Oct-08 13:23:35

I'm weaning ds2 at the moment and all is going well. Done the first tastes and on 2 meals a day. Using Annabel Karmel and Truly scrumptious books for ideas. Both suggest giving pasta during this stage! Isn't this too young?

I know you're meant to be able to introduce wheat and dairy at this stage, and to make the purees with a bit more texture but even tiny pasta shapes seems a bit much to me.

jimmyjammys Tue 14-Oct-08 13:42:55

DS really loved the little pasta stars from that age - just boil them up a bit longer if you are worried so they are really soft. He really enjoyed them with a pureed vegetable sauce. He liked the heinz stars but he hated the Annabel Karmel ones - i think they are made of rice - don't have gluten or wheat in them. You can just break up pieces of normal pasta as well which is what i do now.

mabanana Tue 14-Oct-08 13:46:32

Gosh no, it's fine. Give him either mashed up pasta or just well cooked whole penne to pick up with his fingers and eat by himself. Don't bother with purees - blooming Anabel Karmel!

forevared Tue 14-Oct-08 14:36:52

Thanks, I'm nervous about giving finger foods because he seems so young, but I made a huge mistake with DS1 and gave purees for too long. I now have a really fussy eater, and don't want the same thing to happen.

nappyaddict Tue 14-Oct-08 14:37:59

gosh no, i was giving ds whole bits of penne at this age.

SazzlesA Tue 14-Oct-08 14:39:55

Message withdrawn

MrsJamin Tue 14-Oct-08 15:45:37

my DS eats fusilli better as it seems to break up more easily, plus it holds more sauce.

babyOcho Tue 14-Oct-08 22:32:30

I agree with MrsJ, fusilli is better. I gave DD tubes the other day and she couldnt bite bits off from it and got frustrated.

I havent tried spaghetti yet, but she can eat egg noodles amazingly well, so I am sure that she can.

DD is 7 months.

MovinMovinMovin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:11

DD ate adult sized peices of fussili from when she was about 6 months. She stuffed them, in her mouth, and I was expecting her to suck and chew and squish etc etc, but she used to mostly swal;low them whole with no problem at all. I'm surprised she wasn't doing spiral shaped poos tbh!

MovinMovinMovin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:43

by adult sized pieces, #I mean normal big pieces, not mashed or cut

nappyaddict Tue 14-Oct-08 23:43:14

ds still swallows spgahetti shapes whole i'm sure. he shovels it in much too fast to be chewing and swallowing!!

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 14-Oct-08 23:56:12

Weaning is nothing to do with me nowdays but lol at spiral poos.

As you were.

solo Tue 14-Oct-08 23:59:26

Pasta is great at that age. They can pick it up and it's easy to chew and swallow.

backonthedecaff Wed 15-Oct-08 00:03:04

Not just mine then!!DD2 swallowed penne whole from 6.5 months - never choked - and still does at 2.9yrs. I had thought she was alone in this; glad to hear it's not so.

sannie Wed 15-Oct-08 10:11:07

also agree that fusilli is better...have tried bows and also penne with ds2 9 months and fusilli is the only one he attempted to eat (and did very well) - the other shapes he just looked at and then started to cry

forevared Thu 16-Oct-08 11:10:25

Thankyou everyone, so grateful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now