Talk

Advanced search

BLW - so when do they start actually putting stuff in their mouths?!

(8 Posts)
lucysnowe Mon 13-Oct-08 19:30:41

Hi all!

Started BLW last week and DD is have lots of fun but v. v. seldom putting finger food anywhere near her mouth (the most it has been is nectarine for about a sec and licking a bit of bagel twice). Is it normal for it to take a while? Any tips to make her a bit more orally inclined? grin

Thanks!

Housemum Tue 14-Oct-08 09:58:49

How old is she? DD3 is 9 months, and pretty accurate at getting stuff in, unless it's in the palm of her hand which means she repeatedly bangs her hand on the table as she can't work out how to get it grin

She was so-so at around 7 months, it just takes time, and lots of patience unfortunately! Remember that in the early days it's more about practice than actual nutrition as milk is still the main food. (After all, if you look at a jar, they are only about 60 - 100 calories)

lucysnowe Tue 14-Oct-08 10:05:03

She's six months, just started really. She likes sucking her bib/the edge of my book/my nose but not so fond of food!

MamaChris Tue 14-Oct-08 11:11:59

tried BLW with ds at 6mo. Thought because he was shoving anything plastic he could hold into his mouth itwould be a breeze. But once he realised food didn't taste like plastic he stopped putting it in his mouth.

I started feeding him from my plate (using spoon or my fingers), althought he rarely took much. A few weeks ago, he started eating much much more, and this coincided with wanting to feed himself too, and now he self feeds (except things like yoghurt). I think if I'd have just waited, things may well have worked out exactly the same, but I had my own food ishoos and wanted to see him eat!

So, yes, it appears it is normal for it to take a while. No tips, I'm afraid, apart from give it time, and don't make her any special food, because it's so much more frustrating when they refuse to eat food you have prepared specially.

peachsmuggler Tue 14-Oct-08 11:15:43

Hi Lucy, we started BLW at 6 months too and at first DD would eat very very little. Mostly she just played with the food. I think it's completely normal actually.

5 weeks later she is starting to eat a lot more (still not a great deal) but am amzed at how quickly she has got the hang of holding food and eating it.

I think the best approach is to just relax and enjoy it. As long as she is having fun, she will start to eat when she wants. Just offer her different things each day and eventually she will eat something.

good luck!

lucysnowe Tue 14-Oct-08 14:53:50

Thanks all! Will do I suppose... will keep you posted!

nappyaddict Tue 14-Oct-08 14:55:58

we started at 26 weeks. it took ds til 8/9 months to put a single thing near his mouth. he preferred to slide it around the tray.

scorpio1 Tue 14-Oct-08 14:57:33

just relax, its fun for them! We started BLW a week or so ago, and going well so far (6 months). She mushes some stuff in her head grin but will eat things like toast, that are easy to hold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now