Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cup/beaker - why and when?

(3 Posts)
Sallypoo Mon 13-Oct-08 11:33:49

Hi there,

My DS has just started nursery, and it seems we're a bit behind on weaning.

He is 9 months and well established on stage 2 foods and using a tommy tippee nuby anyway up cup/beaker thingy.... Wasn't really using until nursery as they leave him to drink by himself, so quite an incentive!

I keep seeing ref to him having his milk from a beaker and not a bottle - why is this? He uses his beaker by himself for water.

Also I'm slowly putting him onto more solid food, as he only just started cutting teeth and is a bit sore.... but the nursery had put him onto solids.... would rather use up what I've made before going onto 'new' grown up foods....

Please explain about the cup thing -

Thanks
Sallypoo

Seona1973 Mon 13-Oct-08 12:28:52

it is recommended to stop using bottles for milk by 1 year and many many people use them for longer than that. With dd (nearly 5), she had a cup for water from 6 months and was off bottles for milk by 14 months. With ds (2), I introduced milk from a lidded cup for 1 milk feed at the age of 9 months and only when he was competent at using it did I swap the other feeds to a cup as well - he was off bottles by 10 1/2 months. I would think that most lo's would stuill be taking milk from a bottle at 9 months so I dont think you are behind at all. As long as you have introduced a cup for other fluids then that is fine.

Re: foods - is he coping with the foods nursery gives him? If, so then maybe he is ready for more grown up food.

Sallypoo Mon 13-Oct-08 13:04:30

He Seona,

thanks v much.

They tell me he's coping, but when I've tried him at home, I'm getting a different reaction.

I guess I'm a little anoid that they went straight onto 'solid food' when they'd got me to fill in all these forms asking what our food routine was, and then seem to have ignored it. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have about £40 of stage 2 food prepared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now