Talk

Advanced search

Finger foods for a 6 month old

(15 Posts)
nondomesticgoddess Fri 10-Oct-08 13:58:21

Assuming there is nothing wrong with giving a 6mo finger foods, has anyone got any suggestions of what they can have? I have plenty of ideas but a huge fear of choking.
Ds has no teeth but loves his food. I have been giving him rusks because they seem to feel nice on his teething gums and (hopefully) dissolve in his mouth before he has a chance to choke. I don't particularly like giving them to him because of the sugar content.
Can he have things like cooked carrot sticks? Cooked pasts shapes? Any fruit? Breadsticks?
I'd love any more suggestions...

Yep, banana, ripe peeled slices of mango, pear, melon, steamed carrot sticks, or soft broccoli, roasted veg sticks like butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, potato, sweet potato, bits of toast (untoasted bread can be a bit claggy) pasta shapes, sticks of creamy cheese, breadsticks might be a bit hard just yet but no harm in trying them.

HensMum Fri 10-Oct-08 14:07:55

Rice cakes disolve pretty well after a gumming.

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 14:10:10

See www.babyledweaning.com for tons of ideas. They tend to gag at the beginning, so it's as well to know the difference between gagging and choking, and it's always wise to know what to do if a child should choke. That said, they tend to cope with it much better than you'd think - dd was weaned straight on to self feeding, and has only ever "choked" when drinking water too fast!

smallwhitecat Fri 10-Oct-08 14:13:48

Message withdrawn

nondomesticgoddess Fri 10-Oct-08 14:36:15

Thank you both! The roasted veg sounds like a particularly good idea - hadn't thought of that at all. And I have rice cakes in the cupboard, just wasn't sure if he was too little.

smallwhitecat Fri 10-Oct-08 14:40:58

Message withdrawn

scorpio1 Fri 10-Oct-08 14:41:55

dd loved her nectarine today

scorpio1 Fri 10-Oct-08 14:42:30

you can put marmite or hummus on top of the ricecake too

smallwhitecat Fri 10-Oct-08 14:46:44

Message withdrawn

nondomesticgoddess Fri 10-Oct-08 19:18:15

Thank you everyone - I'm off to the shops tomorrow with plenty on my list!
It's just the choking thing that worries me - think i need to just relax and go with it.

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 19:23:36

Ask your HV or GP to teach you what to do in case of choking - should make you feel a lot more comfortable. And read what is said about gagging on the site I posted above - it's important to know the difference.

IHeartIona Fri 10-Oct-08 20:29:26

what kind of rice cakes can you give at 6 mo, out of interest, normal ones but without salt I assume?

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 21:03:21

Yes <dashes in before IHI decides for herself> - normal unsalted much cheaper than the ones marketed for babies and they are just the same.

IHeartIona Fri 10-Oct-08 21:12:03

thanks Habbibu! no I didn't google it today wink
got to dash, dd has woken up for the 4th time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now