Talk

Advanced search

13mo gone off food very suddenly - quite worried

(5 Posts)
wasabipeanut Thu 09-Oct-08 20:55:32

Ok we're a bit past weaning as DS is now 13 months but this seemed as good a place as any.

For rhe last week ds's normally healthy appetite has just dropped off completely. He has gone from wolfing down pretty much whatever gets put in front of him to looking really quite pained. He either throws stuff on the floor or starts crying when it gets put in front of him. He might take a bit of yoghurt off a spoon but if I try and feed anything else off a spoon he just spits it out. And its meal after meal - he can eat next to nothing at lunch and again for tea even though you'd think he'd be starving by then.

His top 2 teeth have just come through - v late teether - and I would expect him to go off food for that reason but they are there now and he doesn't seem any happier. We've had little blips before but they've passed after a day or two.

I'm prob fretting for no reason as he is healthy and a good weight and perfectly happy in himself but I get the impression that if nobody bothered to feed him he wouldn't actually be that fussed. I'm just troubled because its such a sharp change and so out of character.

I'm late to this teething lark - could it all be related to that?

Aitch Thu 09-Oct-08 20:57:42

easily could be teething, or coming down with something. smile

MegBusset Thu 09-Oct-08 21:00:22

Yes I was going to say DS is like this when teething or coming down with a cold or tummy bug. I give a bit of extra milk to keep some calories in him and tempt him with him favourite nibbles (in his case cheese, breadsticks and satsumas). He's normally ravenous again in a few days.

wasabipeanut Thu 09-Oct-08 21:01:01

Er, difficult questions but how long does it usually last for? I have never pushed him to eat and I am only using a spoon because I am keen to just get something into him.

I know that all is pro fine and that I am being silly but I just worry when there is such an abrupt change.

I worry that because he is late teething he is going to get loads at once. I have a feeling we could be in for a bumpy few weeks.

Aitch Thu 09-Oct-08 21:14:09

depends what it is, of course. but dd used to go right off food, sometimes for a week, and then gorge herself again. i never bothered about getting something in, assumed she was fine on milk in the interim. but then i was ffing her so it wasn't a pain to give her more bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now