Talk

Advanced search

3 year old - bottle of milk in bed - what to do?

(11 Posts)
DeeInMalaysia Thu 09-Oct-08 03:19:31

Hi,
I have 2 sons aged 3,3 and 1,3. They both take a bottle of milk to bed with them as it's the only way I can get them to go to sleep. I'm a bit worried because I think maybe ds1 is too old for that now and how will I ever stop this habit? Also I'm very worried about their teeth.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

leothelioness Thu 09-Oct-08 03:44:22

my ds was 3.5 before he gave up his night time bottle we just told him he was a big boys now and he could drink from a big boy cup I let him go out and choose his special big boy cup and then got him to throw his bottles in the bin himself. I worked a treat and if we wobbled and asked for a bottle I would remind him that he put them in the bin and he now had a great big boy cup instead.
hth.

lemonlady Thu 09-Oct-08 07:08:20

I put both my dc on a cup at 12 months, and now ds 3 soon, has small amount of milk before bed.

good idea to choose big boy cup for your older ds and maybe get one for the little one to (only if your ready).
my thinng now is to get shut of the dummy. ahh

sannie Thu 09-Oct-08 10:19:55

it's a difficult situation - it doesn't do him any harm to have a bottle...if it's how he likes to sleep then I wouldn't be too fussed....my 2.6 yo still has a bottle....

I have found that my ds1 has got more attached to the bottle now that we have ds2 9 months and he can see him having his milk (he always wants to have milky too)....my suggestion, and something I am also going to do, would be too get rid of the bottle for both of your dcs.....I guess it mught be harder for ds1 if he still sees ds2 having a bottle....

leothelioness Fri 10-Oct-08 03:54:37

it may be harder when they see younger ds drinking from a bottle I was lucky that by ds2 was exclusively bf so he never had a bottle that so ds1 did not feel jealous.
It may well be easier to make the transition together for both dcs

DeeInMalaysia Fri 10-Oct-08 08:06:49

Thanks for the advice. I was going to talk my eldest round to give his bottle to my friends new baby because he's a big boy now and to buy him a big boys cup. Then also switch the youngest ones bottle to water. But you have a point about it being harder when he sees his brother getting a bottle. Might be a good idea to do them both at the same time. Not looking forward to this!!!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Fri 10-Oct-08 08:09:06

They actually take the bottle of milk to bed? ie after cleaning teeth, not just as a bedtime drink?

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Fri 10-Oct-08 08:14:19

I would try a lidded cup in bed for both boys for a while. Buy them a new one which they can choose. Give it a few weeks then try giving a cup without a lid when putting them to bed whilst reading stories etc.
This is what I did with ds. I dreaded change at bedtime but he really didn't seem bothered! Think it was more of me worrying about it tbh!
Another thing we do at bedtime to keep him occupied if he won't settle is to give him a 'musical book' to listen to - one of those hard back story books with buttons on the side. He loves laying down and listening to the music.

HaveYouCheckedTheChildren Fri 10-Oct-08 08:15:29

My DS - just 3 has one to get to sleep too. It's taken away so he doesn't have it clutched there all night - although even that took a a few nights of cold turkey. He uses it as a dummy really. We have said the big boy thing but he told me he will still like milk in a bottle when he is 45. Who knows - maybe he will. He's an eccentric bloke.

But really, am facing the same thing although not too worried - he doesn't ask for it any other time now which is a break through in itself.

mppaw Fri 10-Oct-08 08:30:33

My DD is 2.7 and still has a bedtime bottle, but am thinking of using Christmas as a way of getting rid of it....maybe leave it out for Father Christmas on Christmas eve?
Then, what with Christmas and Boxing day which are really busy for us, seeing people, opening presents etc, that she might be so tired that not having her bottle at bedtime might not be a major issue.
Just an idea.
Good Luck. grin

HaveYouCheckedTheChildren Fri 10-Oct-08 09:11:34

I think FC is more likely to take it if you lace the milk with brandy. He likes a drink, the old soak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now