Talk

Advanced search

Ok I have to get ds3 off the boob and I don't know how, help me please.

(15 Posts)
kittywise Tue 07-Oct-08 20:46:05

Please give me any pearls of wisdom you have. I have never come across such a boob obsessed child in my lifeshock.All my others had weaned themselves off by then.
I am more than happy to feed three times a day.

BUT

He's just about to turn 18 months and feeds at least 2 hourly, basically every time I sit down he wants to feed.

He screams all the time.

I've never just had a cuddle/snuggle with him.

If I sit with any of the other children he smacks them and tries to feed.

He hardly eats any proper food.

Mostly it's the constant screaming and demanding boob that's getting me down.

I'm exhausted and the other children need their mummy backsad.

Thanks

NotAnOtter Tue 07-Oct-08 20:47:44

poor you kitty - i cannot believe he is 18 months old already

Are you done yet???

kittywise Tue 07-Oct-08 20:55:20

Ah hello NAO, I hope I'm not done yet. Room for one morewink

Just hope it won't be another one like this onehmm

NotAnOtter Tue 07-Oct-08 21:31:13

hmm i feel the same!

kittywise Tue 07-Oct-08 22:06:17

bump!

Help PLEASE!!!

kittywise Tue 07-Oct-08 22:06:19

bump!

Help PLEASE!!!

EachPeachPearMum Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:34

Has he stopped feeding at night, yes? How did you cut those out, because that must have worked?

DD was similar age when we stopped, and I just told her my milk was all gone- but she never moaned or asked for it again, and she did eat reasonable amounts of solids by then (finally).

I do sympathise... I just wanted my body back to myself by then, thank you very much!

None of your others were like this? shock
Wow- I'd have thought you'd have had to deal with everything by now wink

NAO- another..... already~?????

kittywise Wed 08-Oct-08 07:01:10

eachpeach, yes I guess there is the assumption that I will have experienced it all!!!! But I've never had one like him. He is so clingy.
he screamed from the moment he was born and hasn't stopped really.

I was talking to dp yesterday and said that I thought that bf had become a catch all cure for any situation where he wasn't quite happy. He wants to feed if he's:
Hungry
thirsty
tired
upset
anxious
cross

It has become his only coping mechanism but it is now caausing great distress throughout the family.

The others just stopped asking for boob.
At night he goes through. He just stopped waking up!

EachPeachPearMum Wed 08-Oct-08 11:26:01

Disclaimer: these are probably all really numpty questions, as I'm sure you've gone through them all already, but don't want you to feel no-one is listening...

Do you think there's maybe an underlying cause for the crying, or just his personality?

If he likes curry, does he like other 'strong' tastes? (eg Chilli con Carne, Mustard, extra mature cheddar) would that encourage him to eat more food maybe?

Could one of your older ones start to be a secondary comforter for him? Dunno- just maybe if they were hugging him, it would free you a little.

I would have thought the youngest (currently!) of 6 would feel secure, and be less whiny/clingy- obviously not!

What do you think would happen if you/he just went cold turkey?

kittywise Wed 08-Oct-08 14:39:12

Thanks Eachpeach. I am thinking that I have kept him as a baby iyswim? He is just grumpy

Today has been better I have only fed him once and he has had one bottle. We watched tv together and had a cuddle. He started to root around but I kept on distracting, giving lots of kisses and cuddles etc and it seemed to be ok.

I must say it feels very strange FOR ME. Better have another one so that I can feed again wink

frans Wed 08-Oct-08 17:46:06

I've got a book called How Weaning Happens which focuses on how to wean your child from breastfeeding, with a particular focus on toddlers - I can really recommend it.

kittywise Wed 08-Oct-08 18:44:13

Thanks frans, is it on amazon?

NotAnOtter Wed 08-Oct-08 21:00:22

i think you have hit the nail firmly on the head Kittywise

please can you hurry up and turn 40

frans Wed 08-Oct-08 21:23:13

Hi Kittywise, it's on Amazon for £6.50. Too long to paraphrase but basically looks at ways of distracting your child e.g. by changing their routine etc. I'd definitely recommend it.

kittywise Thu 09-Oct-08 14:19:47

I'll give it a go frans, to add to my ever increasing pilr of bookshmm

NAO do you mean ME turning 40? if you do not to worry I'm now 41! For some reason the age doesn't change on the profile. Think I'll keep it that waywink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now