Talk

Advanced search

Jelly?

(10 Posts)
chloemegjess Tue 07-Oct-08 14:30:24

Hello. SIL told me to give DD 9months Jelly as she is teething and not really interested in food other than yogurt etc.

Is Jelly ok? Are any types ok/bad?

Thanks in advance

whoisdoingthedishes Tue 07-Oct-08 14:54:29

the ready-to-make can have lots of sugar and other stuff, but you can make your own with plain jelly (ie. grenetine) and pureed fruit. Otherwise, I don't see a reason why she shouldn't have it.

chloemegjess Tue 07-Oct-08 16:25:42

What about the sugar free ready to make stuff? The powder sachets? Or are they full of other crap?

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 16:27:20

you can just give her lots more milk, she can manage without food at the mo

hanaflowerate3scones Tue 07-Oct-08 16:27:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FruitynNutty Tue 07-Oct-08 16:30:39

The sugar free jelly (or sugar free anything is usually full of artificial sweeteners) I would prefer to give natural sugar.
Try her with normal jelly, children love to experiment with different textures as well as flavours smile

At 9 months I would imagine she has already tried loads of things. I wouldn't have liked to give my DS just milk at this age shock He would have screamed blue murder if I hadn't fed him proper food!

freakypenguin Tue 07-Oct-08 16:33:05

these muller little stars jellies have no rubbish. my 3 yr old has them as a treat now and then wouldn't give them to a baby though!

chloemegjess Tue 07-Oct-08 16:43:03

freakypenguin - can I ask WHY you wouldn't give them to a baby? I am not saying you should, I am just trying to find out everything before I start giving it to my DD. Hope that doesn't sound rude, I am just inetrested

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 16:44:36

IMO , babies , especially young ones, can manage without too much processed, artificial , sugary stuff

jelly is water and sugar and a few other bits

if you want to get your daughter hydrated and fill her tummy with something nutritious , go for milk, or stick with yoghurt, if not too sugary

witchandchips Tue 07-Oct-08 16:46:56

can make it up with milk instead of water (a lot of my friends used to have this when they were ill and very little)
or make it with fruit juice, bit of sugar and powdered gelatine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now