Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I making my DD constipated?? Help!

(7 Posts)
pixxiebell Sat 04-Oct-08 20:04:16

Hi - I started weaning my daughter at 18.5 weeks and she is now 6 months. I have been slowly introducing new foods and last week introduced broccoli and peas - I had to take her to A and E today as (I think) she was very constipated and kept crying and grunting most of the day. Her stools (sorry) are quite putty like and suppositories and paracetemol (on docs advice) seem to help her.

Any advice would be great as now I don't want to give her anything in case I block her up some more..! also the doctor said it my be from teethin too..but I thought they got runny tummy's from that??

Will take her to GP anyway when they open but just wanted some advice from you ladies first!

Thanks

lulumama Sat 04-Oct-08 20:06:14

does she have enough fluid and milk?

it might be that she is just not quite ready for food...

bananas seem to be very constipating

offer apricots and watery fruit and veg

curious as to why you started weaning at 18 weeks?

also hungry baby milk , rather than regular formula if you are not breastfeeding, taht is, can be constipating

and you have to ensure you are making up the formula exactly right

pixxiebell Sat 04-Oct-08 20:11:37

Hi lulumama - she is drinking 5 bottles a day and i do offer her water between feeds not that she takes much. I have been giving her bananas too. Possibly I should make the veg/fruit more watery thats a good tip thanks.

No I just give her regular formula (Aptamil) which she has been happy on since she was 2 months.

I felt she was ready to start weaning she is a big baby on 91st percentile.

Thanks for the advice greatly appreciated!!

hercules1 Sat 04-Oct-08 20:13:59

Bananas are known for constipating. I would cut down the food personally and up fluids. If you think about it she could easily have only just been starting food now.

lulumama Sat 04-Oct-08 20:14:24

ok, if i was you , i would cut right back on food and make sure she has lots of milk, and if you carry on with food, offer milk first

weight is not an indicator that a baby needs food, her digestive system may not be ready enough to cope with certain foods

foods such as melon are pear are more watery and might be helpful, and pureed apricots.

hope she is feeling better soon

pixxiebell Sat 04-Oct-08 20:20:48

Thanks alot - yup have totally stopped the food for now think I was getting a bit ahead of myself - its such a minefield of stuff you don't know what you are doing sometimes!

I feel terrible for having done this to her but guess you live and learn!

Thanks lulumama hope she is back to her usual spitely self soon!!

lulumama Sat 04-Oct-08 20:21:51

you are welcome.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now